14| Past Loves

"Norae, my love." The young, naive king called out. He had gone to visit his lover during a 'hunting' trip. Once his council learned of the woman, they did everything to keep them apart. He was arranged to marry another woman named Amarantha Villi. However, this did not stop him.

"Tobias, oh I thought I'd never see you again." The woman cried as she embraced the young king. His hands ran through her obsidian hair and he took in her smell of lavender.

"My dear it doesn't matter what they say. I love you for who you are. No one and nothing can keep me away from you." He kissed her on the forehead as a seal to his promise. One he would regret making in the future.

"But I am no one. I have no title, no status." She admitted.

"What does it matter? You are everything to me. I would trade the kingdom for you, my love, in a heartbeat."
Tobias did love her, with every piece of his heart.

Or so he thought.

The King will have eventually come to find that the beautiful woman he thought he knew, was nothing as she seemed.

"And you truly love her Tobias?" Elliott asked.

The young King Tobias and Lord Elliott were the best of friends. So much so, that Lord Elliot was entrusted as the King's advisor, even though all of the members of the royal council were drastically more qualified.

"I do. She is all I can think about. Norae is my first thought when I wake up and the last thought I have as I fall asleep. She is my sunlight after the rain." He admitted, his eyes shining like gems as he spoke about her. His head sunk in his hand which rested on the armrest of his throne.

"She seems to have you in a trance, my friend." Elliott laughs. "All of this was so sudden. I couldn't help but wonder how quickly you became enamored. You almost seem to be a different person. At least, you are never this way with Amarantha." Elliott noted.

"I know." The king stood in frustration. "I wish they all could see how I see Norae. Everyone is adamant that I get married to Amarantha. We were practically arranged since birth. I know it's better for the Kingdom. But I also know that I can't change the way I feel about Norae." Tobias replied pacing around the room.

"I understand, believe me," Elliott confessed. "Rosalie... is like a dream come true. She is everything to me, and all I can think about is our future together, growing old with her, raising children with her. And you know me, Tobias, this was never my plan until I met her. I planned to see the world."
Elliott smiled thoughtfully.

"Her father does not seem to like you for her, though." The king commented. "And, I sincerely thought you and Athelisa would hit it off."

"No, Athelisa sees me in a way that I don't see her. She is beautiful, there's no denying it, but she is no Rosalie." Elliott replied. "I will get through to her father eventually." He gave the king's situation more thought, and added,
"As your advisor, I should say to marry Amarantha, but as a friend, I say to follow your heart."

"Pregnant?" Tobias smiled, as the love of his life told him the most beautiful news he could ever hear.

"We must keep this hidden at least until the wedding," Norae advised.

"Of course, my love, I would do anything to see you happy." He exclaimed.
Suddenly the door opens and a member of the royal council steps in.