Chapter 5

"But you're Santa!" said Chris. "You have magic! What do you mean, you can't? Giving people what they want most is what you do, isn't it? That's your job!"

"My son has a point," Henry said.

"He is partly right – but I cannot make the impossible possible. I can't bring people back from the dead, any more than I can step in and hand a doctor a cure, or a vaccine. There are forces that I answer to, and rules I am bound by. I cannot do what you ask me, Alice. Ms. Walters' life is not mine to save."

Alice was being held in Helga's arms. She looked up at Santa, and cried, "It's not fair! You're just going to let all those people die? Can't you do anything?"

"He cares for everyone, sweetheart," Helga softly chided, "And if he could save anyone, he would. He is a giver of gifts, ja, but life and death are not a gift he can bestow. Do not be angry at him for not doing something he cannot. Would you blame a bird for not being able to live underwater?"

"No, I wouldn't," said Henry. "But I'd be very disappointed if that bird didn't at least try!"

"We can do something to help, and not break any rules." Chris knelt beside his sister, taking both her hands in his. "Why do you think people are saying that they want a little Christmas, huh? Is it because they want presents?"

"N...no," Alice hesitatingly answered.

"It's because they want to feel the way Christmas makes you feel! It's a good feeling, warm and full of hope, and of love for each other. The spirit of giving is what the holiday's about! This virus is contagious, but so is good will! We can get people to help each other get through this! Now, Santa," asked the increasingly excited Chris, "do you really know who's naughty or nice, or is that just North Pole propaganda?"

The fat man roared with laughter. "That's a good one! I know a good egg from a bad one, yes."

"And this powder turning into snow when you throw it upwards – does that mean you've got powers over weather and atmospheric stuff, kinda like X-Men's Storm?"

"Kinda. What is going on inside your head, young man?" And if you looked closely, you could see his eyes sparkle like ice crystals in sunlight.

As the two legendary elders, one clever elven assistant and two amazing kids made battle plans, Henry went to check on his husband.