Chapter One: The War

Men couldn't admit the power of fairies then and they couldn't now.
My father, the ruler of all the fairies, refused King Henry's order that he and all our kind must fight in the war. A unnecessary war that had nothing to with the quarrels of winged-folk yet they involved us anyway.
"There is no end to mankind's greed. They have one Kingdom, they want another, and then another and then another. Their borders are their pride and their downfall." My Father's wisdom echoes in my mind.
They had treated us, before the war, since before I was born, as amusing pets to show off or as dancing monkeys to entertain them at court.
No king could ever admit that we were powerful, that we were worth anything, until they needed us to be at their side using our magic to kill and conquer.
So we were banished. Driven out of the kingdom and never allowed back at court, well, that wasn't counting the traitors who stayed.
The Lessors.
The ones too cowardly to oppose the king and too weak to fight. They stayed and are ordered to swish their wands at man's bequest.
Pathetic.
They might as well be chained to the ground by their tiny wings.
I don't think of the Lessors as fairies at all. We are wild things and when we allow men to tame us we shrink and fade.
No wonder their lights are so dim. They've been reduced to pretty sparkles to please and serve.
My Father should've taken their power from them, he should've snuffed out their lights without a second thought.
He was always much kinder than he ought to be. Much too forgiving. Nothing like me.
"Our quarrels do not belong to men." He would say to me, always expecting me to finish the sentence as I followed behind him through the borders of the moors.
"Just as theirs do not belong to us. To each our own burden." I mutter to myself. I can't help but finish the sentence, the thought of him always makes me feel like a child.
I wait, staring beyond the ruins of my castle, tapping my staff waiting for Diaval.
"Quickly." I beckon him, whispering to the winds, I know he can hear my impatience. "Time is rolling by as you flap your tiny wings through the sky."
Finally he arrives and tells me what I already was certain of.
"So Stefan continues his father's foolish work yet tells his people that they live in peace. What kind of king is that?"
My flames, green and growing, swell and fall in my palms at the thought, in response to the anger boiling in my blood.
Diaval tilts his head. He asks how I knew what Stefan was planning.
"He is a King, my wings. Their borders are their pride and their downfall. But to use his child as apart of his plan, her christening no less, that is wicked."
He caws.
"Come, come then. We will consult the elders of this. They will be foolish to deny my words again. How can they not see the war is not over?
I trail down the towers steps giving a final look out at the kingdom, at the moonlight illuminating the hills, the moors directly below, the safe haven of all fairies and creatures, and out to King Stefan's castle, proud on the horizon.
The sun will soon rise and the christening will take place, and I know I must make haste.

*********************************
I know this is a little different from the disney film but I hope you like it! Please vote or leave a comment. 😀