4. Zest

Maisy

She never dreamed up how busy Joe's party would be so busy, full of people of all colors, creeds, and ages. 

fixing her apron, and managing the cupcakes on her tray, she made her rounds, quickly running out of the specialty cupcakes,  and worked her way down the list of what Joe had specifically asked for when they met last week, right after his Sanctuary incident with the dentist who went all bounty hunter on him. 

She rolled her eyes, remembering how quick he was to assume Dani had anything to do with it, his getting mad at her, didn't trigger her, but it definitely was enough to get Maisy's blood boiling. 

"What's wrong?" Spencer asked, signing quickly as he loaded up the trays again, they spent all night making cupcakes and well into the afternoon icing and decorating them, and he was ready to go home.  

"Nothing. Just thinking of that dentist who walked in here... He was an ass." She signed back.

He laughed "Don't worry, I doubt he'll even step foot in here since you reamed into him the last time." 

"I can do this, you two go home. You deserve some rest!" Maisy signed to her baker. 

"No it's fine, we promised we'd help." He argued. 

"At least go take a break!" She suggested. 

"Fine. I'll be back to help clean, text me when the party is all wrapped up." he sighed, popping his back and taking off his apron giving her a small wave as he helped Dani with her bag, heading out the back door.

The party was a success for it being the first and only event they had hosted, Joe had wanted a cupcake party, but to his partner Gary's request, they also served savory cupcakes of food to go with their main course of steak or salmon. Luckily Maisy had nothing to do with the savory ones, as Spencer, bless his heart, made the mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, pizza bites, and roasted veggie cupcakes, knowing Maisy could bake but never cook.

The evening was winding down, and it was almost time for the champagne toast when they had gotten started on the dessert serving.

Maisy gathered the lemon drop cupcakes and went into the crowd again, offering people at the tables one, just as she finished her first table she stumbled over an extension cord, nearly toppling over again over a really nice pair of shoes. 

She looked up, to find a familiar face looking down at her, puzzled, as she balanced the tray ever so carefully saving the contents from certain doom. 

It was the dentist. 

Her surprise quickly wore into anger at him showing his face there again, as she noticed he wasnt alone, a beautiful young woman at his side dressed in a stunning blue dress spotted Joe, who walked over to see if Maisy was okay, then said something to them. 

"Yes." She signed. Turning towards her host of honor. "What is he doing here?" she demanded. 

"He's my dentist, and... a friend, I figured he'd needed a night off. He looks so serious all the time." He said with a smile. Maisy harumphed, and Joe introduced them, as the woman smiled and waved. The dentist from hell nodded, not even looking in her direction. 

"Maisy, this is Dr. Rhys Hyun and Diana Gomez." he signed to her, as she turned and offered a warm smile and a cupcake to Diana, wondering how she ended up dating such a grouch. She glared at him as she begrudgingly offered him one, to which he shook his head.

"Any crap he talks about my pastries and I'm kicking him out, Joe." She said curtly turning on her heel to the next table.

When Jamie met up with her at the back tables, passing out the last of the desserts for the night, she immediately saw the tall dark-haired doctor and turned to gossip with her friend.