XXV

Tw: depictions of dead bodies and wounds,
...

Wilbur had no dreams for the nights spent in the hospital. Nights upon nights upon nights of numb, empty sleep. He assumed it was the medications.

And then they were filled with Quackity.

And just for a night, Wilbur was happy. When he woke, he cursed the way his mind conjured up images that could- that would- never happen. And yet they burned themselves into his mind all the same.

He didn't dream again after that. And somehow, Wilbur was mournful yet thankful for that. From where he sat, crossed legged on the chair, Tommy huffed.

"Come on, just tell me!"

Wilbur rolled his eyes. "It's nothing, really."

"Bullshit. Something happened in that dream." Tommy said. He crossed his arms, staring straight at Wilbur. Wilbur glanced away.

"Fine," Wilbur said. "I was back at that alley. It was- I- it's hard to relive."

Tommy paused. "But something else happened that you're not telling me. You didn't sound scared the whole time."

Wilbur paused, shuffling where his hands sat in his lap. "Sound?"

"You talk in your sleep."

Wilbur laughed gravely. "Then you already know what happened." 

Tommy scoffed, shrugging. "No, you're still insufferably cryptic about shit even in your dreams."

Wilbur smiled. "Ha."

"Bitch."

Wilbur laughed. He glanced out the window, watching the birds that apparently had a nest nearby. He turned back to Tommy, risking a glance into the hallway. Nobody save for hospital staff walked the halls.

"You were scared," Tommy said. "But then you sounded, like, like almost happy."

Wilbur began to speak, the words dying in his throat. He took a breath, glancing off to the side as he spoke slowly. "It was a dream. I don't really remember." His mind hissed back at him.

Liar.

Perhaps better to be a liar rather than face it.

"Whatever," Tommy said, leaning back in his chair as he looked at his phone. "Phil and Kristen are coming over."

"Oh," Wilbur said. "When?"

"They just got here."

"Oh."

And they waited. The beeping and whirring of the machines replaced the tick of a clock. Wilbur looked out the window, growing impatient but still never showing it.

Two people walked into the view of the window. Wilbur didn't miss a beat in recognizing Phil as he turned around, seemingly talking to someone hidden from Wilbur's view. A woman stood next to him, carrying herself in a joyful way despite her black attire.

Phil nodded to the person before turning back around and quickly coming into Wilbur's room. "Wilbur! Good to see you!"

Tommy jumped up, running to hug Phil and who Wilbur assumed was his wife.

"I trust Tommy's told you about Kris?" Phil asked, gesturing to his wife. Wilbur nodded, looking from where he laid in his hospital garb.

"He said she brought candy," Wilbur said before turning to Kristen with a warm smile. "Pleasure to meet you."

"Took way too long," Kristen said, smiling. She didn't move, almost as if too hesitant to.

Wilbur chuckled lightly. He pursed his lips, hating the silence that followed. "How has everything been?" He decided to ask.