The beginning

"Piper! " her mother shouted. "Come and wake up!" Piper groaned, her feathers trembling with cold. Her mom tried to drag her out of bed. So here it goes... she buried herself in the nest and screamed: "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! THIS IS NOT HAPPENING! I AM NOT LEAVING THIS BED, NO, YOU ARE NOT GONNA REMOVE ME FROM MY BED! NO NO NO NO NO NO! I AM NOT LEAVING! NO NO NO NO NO NO!" Piper threw a fit, hugging the sand and tearing up seagrass. "NOPE, NOT NOW. YOU SHALL FEED ME RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW. I AM NOT COMING OUT. NO. WAY."

Then a yawning Shelly scrambled out of a hole. "Mama, WHERE IS MAH OYSTER STEW? HUH? I WILL NOT COME UNTIL YOU MAKE ME MAH OYSTER STEW! I NEED MAH OYSTER STEW!" Shelly attacked her mama, yes, while she was cooking, and started to devour the oyster stew WITHOUT PIPER. Outrageous! 

Piper laughed at the commotion(while also grumbling!), unburied herself, and threw herself over. "aUnTiE!!!!!! wHy????????" Piper made a begging motion while also slumping over like she was exasperated. "sToP fEeDiNg ShElLy FiRsT!!!!!!!!!!! FEED ME" Piper tried to look stern but fell over laughing while Shelly gave her a weird look.

Shelly's mom, or "aUnTiE",  merely soothed her wisely: "The widest, or most peeping beak, gets fed."

"ARGH. humph," Piper stalked off to her mama, as her mama was one of the only two that could calm her down. Shelly was not in the mood to, because she was too busy (messily!) devouring her oyster soup (mOm! it was OUR leftovers! We deserve better than that!!!!!) 

Once Piper's mom calmed her down, Piper settled down enough to start the procedure of inhaling the oyster stew ("aUnTiE!?!?!!??! yOu GaVe Me LeSs ThAn ShElLy!?!?!?!?!!?!??!")  But anyway, the oyster stew Shelly's mom made because she always cooks (hey, it's my tradition as the cooking family! we HAVE to!) was delicious (fine. humph, you win.). Piper's mom giggled when the plump oysters touched Piper's beak because Piper sighed with satisfaction. (it reminds me of the old days... when YOU were eating messily) (hey! you were the one who sighed "back in the old days"! and... still now!) (no way) (yes way) (nope never no nononono) (yes yes I have video) (no. way. nonononononononono never nope you don't you scandal!)

Piper quickly gobbled down the oysters, the clock was on, she was going to win this eating race. She had to. But... Shelly was faster than Piper. (IDK why the cooking family was always the faster eater) (hey! no fair! you eat messier!) (I try harder but somehow you get lucky!) (I use etiquette!) (then you should see yourself! utterly messy! at least I try to use "etiquette"!)

"Aw, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! No fair, you got to eat first, it would've been my prizeeeeeeeeee!" groaned Piper as Shelly dwelled on her success. (you said that while there was food in your beak! I hope you have manners now, you young delinquent!) (mOmMmMmMmM!!!)

"Anyway, now we've eaten breakfast, maybe our leftovers cooked again, (what!? we're old ya youngins. we can't keep cooking for you now you know how to cook. you will eat your food not mine anymore) (and surely not my hard-caught oysters! nonoonononononono those are for us) now we can start cooking up oyster stew for the whole community in the oven room!" an excited Shelly said. "Race ya!" she said as she sped off into the distance.

Piper knew the shortcut was over the crabs, the pinchy mean red stuff. Piper shivered. She hated those crabs, they pinched her down all out, out bye said the crying down as Piper cried for the crying down. She was cold for weeks, but thank goodness new feathers came back and mama fed her in her nest. Yuss!

But... She first needed an oyster to eat to get over the crabs by flying. She had to soar high to avoid the crabs. At least for her flying skill, it was almost too high. But she had youth on her side, the energy that zoomed her all through day and night. Which also kept her wide awake when she wanted to sleep. Ugh...

Then Piper saw something unusual-the crabs were burying themselves in the sand before the high tide. Piper shrugged and ran, burying herself in the sand away from the mean crabs. Why not? She was going to lose the race anyway. After the tide wave, she peeked out, just to check if crabs would pinch her and she saw a treasure of oysters. "Holy oysters!" Piper gazed in amazement for a few moments then quickly remembered where the oysters were, she knew the sand would cover them up again. 

When the tide went back, she shot out of the sand and snatched an oyster up. She waved it around: "If you are the fastest crab, you get to eat this once you get me all the way there!" The crabs didn't see her sly smirk as they rushed over. The fastest one, naturally, got to take her. That crab ate the oyster for strength.

"Holy oysterssssssssss." laughed Piper while the fast crab zoomed along the side of the ocean. "I could do this every day!" Then the fast crab spoke: "I would prefer it if you did, ma'am, and fed me first." The crabs surely did not waste words! Plus they worked for a goal (food, not a spoiler) and were not snobby, but she still wanted to go fast, to beat Shelly!

At the halfway point, Shelly was snoring, sleepy. After dragging herself over to the side of the cliff, she made a crude bed of seagrass and seaweed. I'll sleep for only 20 minutes or less, she thought over and over, and so she slept.

At the halfway mark, Piper snatched an oyster up, careful to not let the smell wake up Shelly. She tossed the fast crab an oyster, this was far enough for her. Piper sneaked past Shelly, taking off Shelly's won boosters. It was hers now. Piper saw a red streak zoom back to the red cluster and she smiled. Piper was totes gonna win this. But this was only halfway, don't celebrate a victory before its done, she thought as she glanced at Shelly and took off silently. 

25 minutes later, Shelly shook herself awake. Alarms blared in her head, she overslept! She took off after Piper, wide-eyed and almost crying since she thought Piper was still behind. Only if she knew that Piper was faster than her, a few meters close to the oven.

In addition to Piper, other seagulls dove repetitively out of the sky to where Piper pointed, clearing the way to the halfway line and back. Piper had gathered too many oysters, and when Shelly arrived, Piper was smiling almost evilly. She proudly boasted, "I beat you." Shelly slumped, but the hungry cries of the other seagulls woke her up like a punch in the face. 

"You called them without me! Holy oysters!" Shelly said no more, busily cooking frantically, constantly yelling for more dishes to serve the oysters. All the seagulls practically fought over place in line, showing up for more dishes. They devoured the oysters, almost all of them in line as soon as they got them!

Once they had all finished eating, when their bellies grew with contentment, they (struggled, they were so tired after full-speed eating. don't even mention the oyster hunt.) shouted out, "Thank you!" in the air. "We love it so much!" The poor seagulls were starving without Piper and Shelly, after taking a bite of oyster soup, they refused to eat raw oysters except there was no cook.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Yuss!!!!!!!!!! 1277 words! LET'S GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you like it?

-thecattyegg