ii. the devil went down to hawkins

tw: religious trauma, mental and physical abuse, graphic depictions of death

"Where were you after the pep rally?" Chrissy asked Lily, the blonde getting her tray from the lunch lady. Chrissy waited beside her, holding her lunchbox with both hands in front of her, "I looked for you, but you were gone."

Lily shrugged as she handed the cafeteria worker her lunch money, stuffing the change in her pocket with one hand as she balanced her tray in the other, "I had to use the bathroom."

In response, Chrissy furrowed her eyebrows but dropped the subject, which Lily appreciated. They walked towards the center of the cafeteria, Lily keeping her head down to avoid making eye contact with those looking their way, while Chrissy was smiling at everyone that passed.

"Are you sure you don't want to sit with us today?" Chrissy always offered Lily a spot at the cheerleader's table, but Lily refused, as Chrissy was the only one that wanted her there.

"I'm sure," Lily nodded, she didn't know if she could handle more catty comments, "I'm excited for tonight," she smiled as the two walked slower, making the most of their lunch time together.

"I am too!" Chrissy grinned with excitement, "Oh, what are you going to wear? It is the big game after all, there'll be plenty of people there..." Chrissy hinted, but continued when Lily looked confused, "Plenty of boys there."

A blush bloomed across Lily's cheeks as she shrugged, "Oh, I don't know. Probably what I usually wear," the blonde said shyly, "Boys don't look at me like they look at you Chrissy."

"Oh, please," Chrissy stopped, her grin getting bigger as she poked the girl in the side, "I saw you with Eddie Munson this morning, he's into you for sure."

"No way," Lily shook her head, "Besides you know what my grandma-"

"Your grandma, I know," Chrissy rolled her eyes and began to walk again, "when will that woman ever lighten up and let you have some fun?"

Lily shrugged, looking back toward her tray. Their was an awkward moment of silence before Chrissy spoke again, "Well, why don't you, y'know, accessorize a little. Oh, did you get a class necklace? We can match!" Chrissy offered, holding up her necklace slightly so Lily could see it.

"No," Lily frowned, "my grandma didn't give me any money to get one. She says that they're practically useless."

"That woman is holding you back," Chrissy sighed, reaching behind her neck to unclasp her necklace. She stopped Lily and stood behind her, fixing the delicate gold chain with an '86 pendant around her neck. Lily brought a hand up to touch the charm, giving Chrissy a small smile as the redhead returned to her side, "There," Chrissy glanced from the necklace to Lily's face, "It looks good on you."

Lily felt the blush return to her cheeks as she looked down at the pendant, "Thank you," she told Chrissy earnestly, "I'll give it back to you after the game."