iii. search for a supposed satanist

Lily woke up with a crick in her neck and a bad taste in her mouth

She lifted her head from the floor, almost forgetting what had happened last night before it all came rushing back to her. She felt herself gag, and she'd throw up again if she had anything left in her stomach. She swallowed the bile and quickly got up from the floor, heading to the bathroom to clean herself.

Rubbing her eyes and stretching her neck as she headed toward the bathroom, she stopped when she noticed a note on the kitchen counter. Picking it up, it read: "Headed into town. I'll be back this afternoon. You better be too."

Lily sighed and put it back down. She didn't even know what time it was. She figured it was early, as small amounts of light beamed through the windows. Her grandmother must've just left. She continued for the bathroom, quickly shedding her clothes and putting them in the dirty laundry basket. She paused when she got to Chrissy's necklace, fiddling with the charm before taking it off and carefully placing it on the bathroom counter.

She quickly scrubbed her body and hair- like she was trying to scrub away her memories of the previous night. Yet, they were still there, the images of Chrissy's body appearing every time she closed her eyes. She sped up her pace, not liking the thoughts the warm water brought to her mind. She shut off the spigot, twisting the knobs and hopping out from behind the curtain. After brushing her teeth, she went back to her room, her hair thrown up in a towel and her body wrapped in a robe. Chrissy's necklace was cold against her skin.

She grabbed the first outfit she could find and put it on, as well as a pair of thick socks. She would need them to get where she was going. She fished under her bed for a certain shoebox. Her hand hit the dusty lid, and with a grin, she reached to pull it out. Wiping the dust from the top, she flipped open the lid and grabbed the pair of rollerskates her parents had bought her for her 13th birthday.  She prayed they would still fit as she stuffed her regular shoes into her backpack. She also grabbed her walkman and her favorite cassettes, in case the journey was longer than expected. Her head shot up as she heard police sirens getting closer and closer.

Someone had found Chrissy.

Lily wasn't sure why she didn't call the cops herself, though she found her answer when she tried to think of what she would tell them. She would sound absolutely crazy; they would send her to Pennhurst in an instant. She got up to look out her bedroom window,  seeing Eddie's uncle biting his thumb outside of their trailer, the cops peeling into the gravel road that led to the trailer park. It looked like her plans of getting an early start searching for Eddie were foiled. Since her grandmother's trailer was the closest, they'd want to question her about this.

She set the rollerskates down and hurriedly went to the front door, causing her to slide on the linoleum tile. She peeked her head out the door, looking at Eddie's uncle, Wayne. Lily bit her lip as she realized what she needed to do.

She would have to lie.

Lily was never keen on lying, as she was quite terrible at it. The guilt ate at her insides until she eventually confessed the truth. It was a sin after all. She closed her eyes a moment, letting out a breath. The man stood, his arms crossed in front of him, continuously tapping his foot against the rocks.  Lily called out, "Mr. Munson, what's going on?"