August

I couldn't believe it. Yet another year had passed, and here I was again; back in the car and on my way to Cousins Beach House. The sound of Taylor Swift songs blasted through the speakers as I drove down the highway. I'd managed to finally get my license at the end of last Summer, meaning Laurel had finally allowed me to drive us all the way down there. The sweet and familiar excitement began to rise in my stomach as I turned off the road. Steven's  hands were clutching the sides of the car dramatically. 

'Jesus, Belly. You could try going a little slower.' 

I rolled my eyes. 'Just because you drive at snails pace, doesn't mean that I have to.' 

Laurel, sat in the back with a blanket over her knees, yawned and tutted under breath.

'Could you both stop  bickering for one second?' She snapped. 'We're almost there!' Steven and I instantly quietened down. My mother's tone wasn't overly harsh, but she was in no mood to be messed with. Eventually, her stern expression cracked, to reveal a wide smile. 

'Summer is about to begin.' 

The excitement in my belly rose even more when she said that, I could barely contain myself. 

My family and I had been going to Cousins Beach House every Summer since I was born. It was my favourite place on earth - however scrambled life got at home, everything always seemed to fall into place at Susannah's house. My heart belonged in the cornflower blue wallpaper of my room; the refreshing coastal air of the town; the platinum gold beaches that seemed to stretch on for days. Every inch of my being was woven into the Summer's I spent there, the memories I made, the people I'd met - and in some cases - fallen in love with. My heart fluttered for a second at the thought. I was going to see Conrad again. 

'I know what you're daydreaming about.' Steven sneered. 

I kept my eyes on the road, but lifted my hand of the gear stick to give him the finger. Steven didn't back down.

'Oh Conrad!' he mimicked in a gratingly high-pitched voice, 'Fall in love with me Conrad, kiss me Conrad, I'd do anything for you, Conrad'

'Shut UP Steven!' I screeched, swatting his head with my spare hand. My cheeks had flushed hot pink. Nothing much had changed with my pest of a brother, despite him being a whole year older. I'm pretty sure he'd still be embarrassing me at 40 years old. 

'Hmm...' Laurel chimed in from the back, 'I think it may be the other way round.' 

Steven frowned. 'What does that mean?' 

A smirk formed on Laurel's lips. 'I think you'll find that it's Conrad thinking those things about Belly.' 

Steven's face twisted into a look of intense disgust. 'What the hell? No freaking WAY. It's not like anything has happened between them.' 

Laurel's eyebrows raised ever so slightly, though she was careful to say nothing. Last Summer had been a complicated and confusing whirlwind of emotion when it came to the Fisher boys. I'd managed to somewhat fall for Jeremiah and fall even harder for Conrad. It wasn't until the week before we were all due to go home that Conrad finally fessed up his feelings for me, and the lines of communication cleared between the two of us. But it was so late on, nothing much came as of a result of it - other than quite a few illicit kisses on the beach, when everyone was either out or in bed. 

'I'd appreciate you guys not discussing this?' I exclaimed, as I pulled into the drive of Cousins Beach House. I could already see Susannah, dressed in a pale cotton dress, sat on the porch. The boys were nowhere to be seen. I parked, twisted the key and shut off the engine. Susannah jumped up from where she was sat, half-running over to us. 

'You're here!' she cried out in excitement, throwing her arms around me. 'Oh my god Belly, you're even more gorgeous than last time.' 

'Susannah!' I exclaimed as we embraced. 'You look so well!'

And she did,  I thought, when we eventually pulled apart. She really did. Her cheeks were flushed and her blue eyes were bright. Something about her demeanour looked so much more energetic than last year. I felt an intense wave of relief wash over me - thank goodness she was getting better. 

'The boys are inside,' Susannah continued, as I began to unload my bags from the back of the car. There was a careful pause before her next sentence. 'Conrad is just finishing up some prep for dinner tonight...he's in the kitchen.' An unspoken understanding flickered between us. I nodded, and took a deep breath.

'I'll go say hi.'

As I headed into the house, my heart began to race with anticipation, I hadn't seen him in months - had he changed his mind about me? How was I meant to greet him? Would things be like they were last time, or would they be different? The anxiety rose, reaching its peak as I approached the doorway into the kitchen. My fingers brushed against the brass door knob and my stomach irrupted into butterflies. I knew that the only true way to answer all these questions was to just see him again. I stepped into the room.

There he was. I immediately noticed that he was ever so slightly taller than last year. His skin was golden, his hair a dark hazelnut brown, ruffled as per usual. He was wearing a loose, unbuttoned shirt, and was seemingly engrossed in cooking. So much so that it took him a moment to notice me, stood in the kitchen, feeling as though my entire heart was about to explode. Every Summer I first set eyes on Conrad, it always left me with this winded feeling in my chest - like seeing him knocked the air out of my lungs. It felt particularly bad this time round. 

'Hi.' I said, in a small voice. 

His head whipped up, eyes locking onto mine, an expression of realisation and happiness spreading across his face. 

'Belly!' He exclaimed, his voice brimming with excitement. He dropped the spoon in his hand and closed the distance between us by quickly pulling me into a warm hug. His arms around me again, the smell of his cologne, the way my entire body settled into his touch - it felt like two missing jigsaw pieces fitting into place. 

'I've missed you.' He said, as we pulled apart. His hand reached to tuck a strand of loose hair behind my ear, whilst looking at me as if observing every small detail of my face. 'You're looking as pretty as ever.' 

I couldn't help but smile.

'Connie!' I exclaimed, 'you're making me blush.' We both laughed, and for a split second I thought he was going to kiss me. But just as I felt him lean in, someone burst in. 

'BELLY!' 

I spun around, only to be met with Jeremiah, hurtling towards me. He scooped me into his arms and spun me around the kitchen, leaving me in a fit of laughter. 

'It's good to see you again Jere,' I said, once he put me down. He too looked a little taller and more built out. But his sunshine yellow curls and striking blue eyes were, of course, just the same. Conrad resumed his place at the kitchen counter, and I (with the help of Jeremiah) began to take my bags upstairs. My bedroom hadn't changed one bit. Large open windows filled the whole place with bright sunlight and the salty sweet smell of sea air. Junior Mint, my polar bear toy, sat in his rightful place upon the oak chest of draws. Pillows, as soft and white as clouds, adorned my luxurious double bed. The only difference I noticed was the addition of a wooden wardrobe and a full length mirror attached to the wall opposite my bed. Jeremiah dumped my bags down on the floor.

'You wanna swim?' He asked, his face looking eager. Despite how tired I was from the journey, the idea of cool ocean water and and a sunset bathe on the beach was very appealing. Smiling, I replied:

'Hell yes I'd like to swim.'