TWENTY FIVE. berman cycle

"I hate you, you know that? I'm being one hundred percent serious, I hope someone hits you in the face with an axe, really

"I hate you, you know that? I'm being one hundred percent serious, I hope someone hits you in the face with an axe, really." Arnie rolled his eyes as he rubbed a cloth onto her knee.

"You should be thanking me," he said. Val gritted her teeth and swatted him away. "I was gonna use this to get high later," he shook the now-empty bottle of rubbing alcohol before pressing the cloth back onto her knee.

Alice coughed as she took another drag of a joint. The three of them had brought a steady supply of drugs for their time at Nightwing, but at the rate they were going, they wouldn't have enough to last another week. "Shoulda gone to Nurse Lane,"

"And have Tommy up my ass about "being more careful"? Sure," Val sniffed and wiped her hand on her sleeve.

"Don't act like you don't secretly like it," Alice scoffed. "'Oh Tommy, I hurt myself, please come and take care of me!'" She and Arnie giggled, Val shoving Alice's face away from her own.

"Shut the fuck up." She snapped, hissing when Arnie pressed too hard on the cut on her knee. "At least I'm not Berman. All she does is hang off Danny Matthews,"

"Jealous?" Arnie raised an eyebrow.

"Please, I'm not the one you should be asking," She shot a look at Alice, who gave her the finger in response. Arnie looked between the two girls, slightly confused, but figured it was best not to bring it up. "Can we go to the mess hall? I'm fucking starving,"

"And there she is," Alice said, the three teens making their way back to the greater camp site, hoping Doreen the lunch lady would let them eat something.

The three of them had effectively isolated themselves from the rest of the counsellors, and they all insisted it was by choice. Preferring to get high in the woods rather than deal with a bunch of pre-pubescent tragic backstory kids that reminded them way too much of themselves.

That, and they all hated Cindy Berman.

The trio each had their own reasons for disliking Cindy, but the main one was simple: she was an uptight bitch.

Every summer fell into the same routine for the Berman sisters. Cindy would try desperately to follow every rule to the letter and then get pissed off when no one else did. Nobody knew this better that her own sister.

Ziggy Berman was the polar opposite of her sister in every way except one: she was still a bitch. The eternally angry sixteen-year-old would not hesitate to curse out the head counsellors, which was probably the reason she had no friends.

Ziggy's mischief had started the day earlier with letting out the camp rabbits, and then (like clockwork) Cindy Berman swooped in to lecture her.

Neither of them ever hid it, either.

"God, Cindy. I told you it wasn't me!" Ziggy snapped, kicking a rock. "It could have been any of the other thousand people here. But you can't yell at them, can you?" Cindy scowled, tugging angrily on a lock of her hair. 

"Ziggy-"

"No, perfect Cindy Berman wouldn't dare raise her voice at a poor innocent camper." Ziggy said mockingly, batting her eyelashes. "But her sister? Oh, then it's just family squabbles."

"What are you doing?" Cindy took a step back, hurt. "Ziggy, come on."

"Whatever." Ziggy took another strike at the rock she was kicking, and it ricocheted off the wooden half-wall before she stalked away, leaving her older sister standing there, huffing quietly to herself. 

She was deep into the woods before she stopped, planting herself at the base of a tree. Ziggy took a deep shuddering breath, pulling her knees closer to her chest. Angry tears pricked at the corners of her eyes and she let out a small scream of indignation. 

She felt like a child who had been berated by a parent. In some ways, she was. Ziggy was sixteen, and while Cindy was only three years older than her she was the only present family she had. Her dad's new girlfriend was only twenty-three, and her mom made sure Ziggy fit in with the rest of the town.

Full of broken families and alcoholics.

Maybe she shouldn't blame Cindy for wanting to get out. It was a bleak existence and Ziggy knew it. She knew she was being overdramatic; that every teen girl felt the same way she did. But not every teen girl lived in the most violent town in America. Shadyside had more murders than any other town in the country, and she'd accepted her fate. Ziggy Berman was going to die. She was going to die in Shadyside, depressed, lonely and angry.

No one was the exeption. Not Joan, not Julia. Not her sister's dumb boyfriend. Not Evie Michaels or her sister. They were all going to die. Scott, Bonnie, probably even their fucking kids. There was no getting out of Shadyside. And Cindy was kidding herself to think she had a chance. 

────────── ⋆˚✿˖° author's note
truly am obsessed with ziggy berman like yeah, she's annoying as fuck but she's also based 🤩🤩 she's a pain in the ass but she's my pain in the ass. i'm pretty sure cindy literally says that at one point just maybe without the swearing?? i admittedly have not seen the movie in A Second i'm relying off my endless fear street knowledge so if something is wrong then actually it's not.