Chapter Eleven: Lemonade is for Losers

I can't believe this is happening.

I always thought the world would end in a spontaneous bang. Mr. Dino would be wrapped in my arms while visions of strawberry Poptarts danced in our heads.

But no. I never thought it would end with "sacred" fine china.

Wow, what a pathetic way to go out.

*****

"I'm not leaving this house until that boy pays for what he's done!"

Aunt Carol's voice could be heard from inside the kitchen pantry where Grayson, Arsen, Travis and I were hiding out and waiting for the storm (also known as Aunt Carol) to pass.

"You know," Arsen recalls as he munches on a potato chip. "Your aunt kind of looks like a cherry when she's mad."

"Nah, she looks more like that strawberry candy that old people always have laying around their house." Travis says as he steals the bag from Arsen.

"Minus the sugar because that lady is bitter as hell." Grayson mutters underneath his breath.

They kept going back and forth on items that resembled aunt Carol.

"Can you guys shut up for a minute!" I whisper-shouted. "Do you guys not get it! If we don't somehow 'fix' her fine china, she'll never leave!" I clutch Mr. Dino and swallow.

Travis looks at me with a dry expression and rolls his eyes as he tears open a bag of marshmallows. "Tatum, the chances of her moving in with us are slim to none. Stop worrying."

"Fine," I say in the most nonchalant voice I can muster. "But don't say I didn't tell you so. Especially when Aunt Carol comes asking to share a room with you." I narrow my eyes. "You know how she is about her weekly soap operas."

"And you two," I pointed a finger at Arson and Grayson. "She likes to have family dinner at least four times a week."

They both shrug. "Technically, we're not your family and -"

"And since you both got us into this we'd be inviting you to every dinner." I smiled sweetly. "Anything else you want to say or shall I continue?"

They all sat quietly.

"Great!" I clap and began to lay out the plan.

*****

"So you're saying that we should sell lemonade." Grayson states more than asks.

"Yes." I cross my arms triumphantly and try to stretch my legs out in the small space of the pantry. "Either that or you could work at Burger World again. It's your choice."

He bangs his head repeatedly against the shelves.

" I think it's an amazing idea. Lemonade, sun, bikini's, shorts, ladies..." Arsen sighs. "Sellin' lemonade to the ladies. Me likey." Arsen looks at me. "Just purely out of curiosity, do you own a bathing suit? Specifically a bikini?"

Grayson's glares at Arsen so hard I'm surprised he isn't on fire.

Travis smacks him in the head. "Tatum, we're not doing a lemonade stand. Lemonade is for losers anyways." He crosses his arms across his chest like a toddler. "I don't need boys looking at you in a bathing suit while you serve them lemonade." He shudders in disgust.

Arsen's face transforms into a dreamy happy mess and it's Grayson's turn to smack him in the head.

"Jeez," Arsen holds his hands up in defense. "It's not like I'm stupid enough to get with your sister or something." He mumbles and then looks at Grayson. "Besides, she already has a boyfriend."

"I'm not Matum's boyfriend." Grayson replies darkly.

"Sure, keep telling yourself that." Arsen says lightly.

"Listen," I say loudly. "It's over ninety degrees outside. We need money and we need it now." I look at Grayson seriously. "We need to earn it in an honest way." I focus my attention back to everyone. "People like to drink lemonade when it's hot outside so we're selling lemonade. Got it?"

They all nod.

"Okay then." I stand up and grab the Poptart box from the top shelf and hug Mr. Dino closely so I can mentally prepare myself to face Aunt Carol.

GRAYSON

I watch Arsen trail behind Tatum's small frame as they leave the pantry. Something tugs at me but I quickly shake it off.

I don't feel things.

Fighter's don't feel things.

I crack my knuckles.

"Here's the thing, Travis" I whisper lowly. "There's a way I can do all of this and get out of your life once and for all. All, you have to do is say 'yes'."

He looks skeptical, but I can tell he's considering it.

I try approaching this situation another way. "I've made things harder for your sister."

I can tell he's listening now. It concerns Tatum, so I know he's listening.

"All of this: the dinner, the plates, everything is my fault. I can get you the cash and be on my way. Like I never was here. It'll be easier. Easier for Tatum."

"I know what you're trying to do, Grayson, and it almost worked. But the thing is, I haven't seen Tatum this outspoken and this outgoing since forever. And it seems as if you and Arsen bring that out in her. She looks happy. And since you guys make her happy you guys are staying." Travis finishes.

"But you better not hurt her or get excited with her because if you do you will go to sleep and not wake up. Do you understand where I'm going with this." His eyes narrowed.

"I'm not even dating her!" I shouted. "It was an act! I don't give a rat's ass about your sister!"

Travis smirks. "So you'd be alright with Arsen dating her?"

I clench my jaw. "I like the fiery type. The kind of girls who aren't scared of a motorcycle and don't carry stuffed animals around."

I like girls who like Poptarts.

I shake my head. "And I like girls who don't like Poptarts. And most importantly, I like girls who aren't Tatum."

"Okay." Travis says sweetly, sounding a lot like Tatum. He grins and walks out of the pantry. "Whatever you say."

*****

Hi :-) COMMENT FAN AND VOTE!