New friends... I think?

Hey all! Thanks for waiting and being patient with me. I finally finished my exams for the year and have just gotten over a lot of stress. Anyways, I hope you enjoy! The italics are her thoughts, by the way!

Lily's POV:

When I walk into the apartment I see a ratty couch, mould on the walls and oil stains all over the floors and counters. So, basically, the best one available. 

I walk around, analysing the things I can clean easily and the renovations that will take a long time to fix, which seems like most of the apartment.

Instead of dwelling on the bad, though it seems I can't help that, I remember that I have neighbours. So, being the socially awkward yet strangely confident person I am, I decided to go meet them, or as most people call it, barge in and force them to help me clean up.

Walking out the door, I can't hear many other people in the building and now that I think about it, I haven't met anyone in this building other than Wade and Matt.

...I wonder if this place is abandoned. It would make sense since this part of Hell's Kitchen is really sketchy, but still, you would think that there would be some life in the building.

Moving on, I knock on Wade's door with a soft 'thunk' of my knuckles and I hear scrambling as well as crashes as heavy footsteps approach the door quite quickly.

The door swings open and a disheveled Wade is looking at me with wide and panicked eyes. When he sees me the eyes soften and loose the panic.

That's interesting, it's almost as if he was expecting some kind of danger or quick-moving action.

I store away the observation and the panicked face in the corner of my mind to analyse later. I have more pressing matters to attend to.

"Um... Hi! I'm hoping you remember me from ten seconds ago, but I was wondering if I could have your help, maybe. Only if it's okay with you, of course." I begin, picking at the edge of my clothing.

He looks at me and, brighter than lightning, smiles at me saying, "Oh, yeah! Sure, come on in. It'd be nice to get to know the new neighbour!" 

I almost flinched. But this guy doesn't have Peter level smiles. Peter's smile is brighter than all the light condensed on Earth and any other planets. I'm pretty sure that if Peter just smiled at others then he would be able to get anywhere he wanted. Australia? Smile, the  Bam! You've got a free plane ticket just for being an adorable yet hot cinnamon roll.

Ah! I'm getting lost in thought. Back to real life. I've got to respond.

"Uh, Yeah sure! Sorry, I'm a bit out of myself today, given that I've just moved." I laugh, hoping he didn't notice the distinct pause in my actions.

"Oh, no, it's ok, really. I know the feeling of moving around from place to place. Thankfully, I found this building and have managed to live here. Since the building is basically abandoned except for me and Matt, its gotten kinda quiet. Not too much I hope, I know it can seem as though I'm coming off as too strong, it's just that Matt's always said I'm too eccentric for this world. Oh, God, I'm sorry, I've been talking way too much. Ehm... what to ask... Oh, I know! Why'd you move here!" He rambled on to me as if I'd known him for more than 3 minutes. 

"Oh... uhm. I kinda got evicted from my last house and my, ehm, mom got this place instead." I say. Though, to be fair, Christine is my Godmother so I'm not necessarily lying. Even so, it seems like he picked up on my white lie.

"I see. Why this place?" He blurted, not before getting a book thrown at his head by an unknown source. 

Looking in the direction of the throw, I see Matt on the floor in front of a table with some cards, which I find ironic, since Matt's blind.

Yes, but maybe his other senses are so fine tuned that he doesn't need his sense of sight.

"What the shit Matt! Why'd you throw a book at me!" Wade exclaims quite loudly in my ear.

"Don't ask things like that, moron." Matt says looking directly at Wade before looking at me. Well not looking, more like turning his head directly in my direction.

"Hello, Lily, is everything alright? Maybe a problem you've run into in your room?" He asks, with a knowing look on his face

He seems to know a lot, too much. Was he watching me maybe? No, I would know when someone's watching me. Something else? Then what is it...?

"Ah, no, not really. I'm just not very keen on starting a month long project of fixing up my place. Does that make sense?" I say, subdued by my wandering thoughts.

"I see," Matt's voice snaps me back into reality, 'if you'd like, and when we're free, we could help you. Possibly, shorten the cleaning time, perhaps?"

"You... you'd do that? I mean, it'd be a bit unorthodox if I just asked you, out of the blue to help me, and please don't feel implored to help, I'm able to do it myself if you have more important things to do." I say, technically speaking, I just guilt tripped them, but who cares.

"Yes, we don't mind, do we Wade. It would be nice if we could start on good terms with our new neighbour, don't you think? In my opinion, this is least I could do to show you hospitality and welcoming you into this building." He counters with another knowing tone in his voice.

He knows too much

"But first,' he begins, "I'd like to invite you to play cards with us for the time being." He says.

"That's be lovely, thank you." I say, smiling that fake ass smile I've worn ever since my father began to disappear to work. I've also learned to copy people. Their speech, demeanour, anything you can think of, personality wise, and I would copy it, in hopes that the other person is going to like me enough to acknowledge me. I haven't been able to be myself in ages. Well no, that's a lie, I'm always myself around Peter, MJ and Ned. They're the only ones who know what I'm really like.

Matt frowns, barely noticeable to anyone who hasn't taught themselves to notice small behaviours. To me, though, I noticed. He obviously saw through my guard technique.

Oh well. I sit down at the table, not before inspecting the floor for anything... undesirable to sit on. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Matt watching me before adorning his previous impassive yet happy and slightly annoyed face.

As Wade sits down and deals again, grumbling about how Matt's too harsh, I notice the room's atmosphere. It went from tensed and mistrustful to relaxed and lulling. 

Briefly I wonder to myself, if I've found new friends and if I told them the truth, that I'm a mistake, that they'd still stick around. 

For now, though, I'll enjoy the ease of possible new friends and a new life filled with uncalled for scenarios and possibilities.