Takoba Beach

When it came to Denki Kaminari, Katsuki placed his friend in the following three categories: erratic, adventurous, and dim. None of which were inherently bad on their own, but together they created a child with ideas and declarations that were both irrational and tiresome. Every now and again, Denki developed a new obsession that had Katsuki questioning how the boy managed to even reach the third grade.

Today was one of those days.

"There's no way," he said.

"I'm telling you it happened," Denki replied.

Katsuki rolled his eyes as he smacked the Nok Hockey puck toward the goal Denki was defending. The boys usually didn't play this game together as Katsuki was too aggressive with the stick and someone always ended up hurt. But the girls in their class hijacked the only baseball available for recess, and Katsuki had no interest in playing with them.

"Get a grip, Denki. There's no such thing as ghosts. Everyone knows that."

"But I saw it with my own eyes!" Denki made a clear shot at the opposite goal, but Katsuki blocked it. "I was with my cousin and he saw it too!"

"It was probably your imagination." Katsuki nudged Eijiro's shoulder. "E, back me up."

Eijiro's eyes widened as he cowered where he sat. His gaze flickered back and forth between Katsuki and Denki. "Uh..."

Katsuki frowned. "You're on my side, aren't you?"

"No way," Denki argued. "He's on my side, right Eijiro?"

Eijiro dipped his head and picked at the grass. Hanta Sero, sitting beside Denki, chuckled.

"I think you guys broke him."

Katsuki scored a goal, but his friend's refusal to stick up for him kept him sulking. "Whatever. Ghosts still aren't real."

"Ghosts?"

Just then, Izuku and Shouto appeared to join the boys around the Nok Hockey table. Katsuki suppressed an eye roll, but it was a struggle. Over the last few months, his friend group somewhat merged with Shouto's friend group. It bothered Katsuki a great deal, especially as his thoughts on Shouto and Izuku being annoying never faltered, but he no longer had it in him to tell them to go away.

So he tolerated their presence. It wasn't easy, but he managed. As long as his interactions with them were restricted to the confinements of their elementary school, he was fine.

Though Katsuki wished the ground would swallow him whole whenever Shouto pulled out a large container of soba at their lunch table, which was almost every day.

Hanta clarified the subject of their conversation to the two newcomers. "Denki says he saw a ghost."

"It's true!" Denki whined. "Katsuki doesn't believe me, but I know what I saw! Do you guys believe me?"

Izuku scratched his head. "I don't know. How do you see a ghost, anyway? Aren't they invisible?"

Denki tugged at his blonde hair and sighed. "You guys are the worst. I'm not telling you anything anymore."

Hanta shrugged. "Well if you're so sure you saw a ghost, why don't you take us to see him?"

"Because that'd be a waste of time," Katsuki snapped. "Because. Ghosts. Aren't. Real."

"No, that's a good idea," Eijiro said. "It'd be cool to see a ghost if Denki's telling the truth." His smile dropped when he locked eyes with Katsuki. "I mean, not that I believe in ghosts or anything."

Denki beamed. "Yeah, we should all go. I saw it at Takoba Beach so even if he doesn't show up, we can just play at the park nearby."

Sitting perfectly still until now, Shouto jerked his head in Denki's direction. "Did you say," he muttered, "Takoba Beach?"