Ch. 1: Iron Horse

October, 2021

It's Friday, another day for another event. Which also means, another day of work and another day in the life of the one and only Carlton McFarland.

He woke up feeling the usual past battle wounds nagging at him, but it wasn't as bad as it used to be. After a few surgeries he recently had, he's been feeling a lot better these days. He stretched out, getting his body ready to move around and function for today and made it to his feet. He did his small exercises to keep in good enough shape, which was also recommended by the doctor, before heading for the kitchen. He cooked himself a nice breakfast with a cup of coffee and a game on the TV, getting into his usual morning routine. Once he was done, he rinsed his plate, showered, and dressed in his business attire.

Normally, he would just roll with a buttoned up shirt tucked in a pair of nice blue jeans with a belt and cowboy boots. Today however, was to be a special edition of Iron Horse Wrestling. Tonight, the folks from WWE would be attending as they do every year when they come to Dallas. Given Carlton's relationship with them, Iron Horse was almost like the little brother to their company and made great for their talent scouting. They weren't as widely televised as them of course, but did have their own cable network and YouTube channel. Plus, it was always nice to look good for his old friends and come across as much of a big shot as the ones running WWE. So, he threw on the tie and big jacket as well and especially brought along his cowboy hat. Add on the number of accessories he would usually bring and he was ready to roll.

He hopped in his pickup and headed for the arena, but wasn't traveling alone.

He decided to bring his daughter, Nicole, along the way. Nicole was the oldest of all his kids, but never seemed like it on the count that she has Down Syndrome. She was very much still a kid and was as sweet and loving as could be.

He pulled up to the home she was staying at, checked in at the front desk and just waited for her arrival.

"Hi Dahhddy!" She cheered with a cute gummy smile once she stepped out and saw him.

That was her way of saying Daddy given her hard hearing and speech impairment.

"Hey, Piglet!" He replied as she ran up to him for a hug.

That was his nickname for her given how much she liked to eat. You wouldn't think it because of her tiny figure, but you could literally put a mountain of food in front of her and she would inhale every last bit of it. Don't ask how she does it because there is no telling.

"You ready to go see some wrestlin'?"

"Yea" she nodded with a grin.

"See your brother?" Once again, she nodded excitedly. "Then let's go"

He helped carry her luggage to his truck before helping her up into the passenger seat and they were off. Of course, he stopped at a McDonald's for her on the way, but he never minded grabbing a quick easy lunch before a show. They made it to the arena and greeted many of his colleagues and backstage employees before reaching his office. He turned the TV on and popped in a movie for Nicole as she took her spot on the office sofa. He sat at his desk and checked everything for the show tonight, ensuring everything was set to go and run perfectly.

After a while of doing his preshow office work, Carlton left Nicole to do her crossword puzzles in his office while he headed for the Press Room. The whole locker room was there for an announcement their boss was to give before the show. Carlton stepped up to the podium before clearing his throat and proceeding with his speech.

"Alright, boys and girls! Today's the big day where we will be performing for not just our usual crowd, but for our friends from over in WWE"

He glanced around the room to see many eager faces with a few nervous ones.