A Familiar (Beautiful) Face

Dorothy Underwood (or, whatever her name was) loved her new, '21st century look' as Yelena Belova had called it.

She admired her straight, jet black hair in the reflection of her shield. Her earlier training tests administered by General Dreykov had gone swimmingly; she overpowered the widows with ease, Red Room Serum coursing through her veins with every kick and punch.

The car rocked and shook a little as the masked driver turned onto a more gravelly road.

Dottie pulled on her own mask, covering the eyes as well as the mouth, and braced the rifle in her unoccupied hand, stepping out of the car and onto the grass. She awaited the signal from her superiors, telling her the vehicle hosting Peggy Carter was approaching.

But Dottie was no longer excited to see her.

Widows in the early days of the Red Room were never subjected to the chemical agent that left Dreykov with complete control over their actions, rather they were simply brainwashed into thinking their actions were for the greater good.

She'd had a trademark Iowa smile on her face when a doctor injected her with a mysterious red liquid. Her smile dropped the second it entered her body. Dottie felt her consciousness suddenly suppressed to the recesses of her mind, as if she was watching her own actions on the screen of a television.

Anton Dreykov smiled triumphantly as he tapped the controls on his tablet, watching his Super Soldier obey every command without hesitation. Every step, breath, gesture, look, was under his and only his control.

So Dottie felt no remorse or sympathy for any other passengers in the car when she'd bowled the canister in their direction.

She'd watched, with an unfaltering blank stare, as the car screeched to halt, flipped onto its back and out crawled the target, along with S.H.I.E.L.D. commander Maria Hill and Black Widow (aka former Red Room Widow) Natasha Romanoff.

Dottie had come across Natalia Alianovna Romanova when reading the files she was given access to.

From reading her file, Dottie liked Natalia. She was so much like her, in the way that she fought, danced, performed, aimed etc. Her genetic potential was staggeringly positive; she could've been in Dottie's shoes right now, had it not been for her defection over to the "good guys".

What a joke.

Watching the redhead be so attentive to her superior's wounds was almost sickening to Dottie. The way she didn't hesitate to rip her shirt, metaphorically and physically, for the woman. It was a sign of weakness.

From afar, Dottie waited in anticipation for an opportunity. An opportunity for Peggy to be far away enough from Hill and Romanoff that she could simply aim the gun and carry out her mission with one fire.

"I've found one!" She yelled out to her fellow Avengers, pulling herself out of the destroyed vehicle and holding out a mobile telephone. Dottie's head tilted before remembering what Yelena had explained.

You can carry them around and call people from anywhere. You can even play games on them, it's a step up from dial ups, I'm telling you.

'Screw it' Dottie thought and drew her arm back, unlatching her fingers from the grooves of the shield and launching it at the other Super Soldier.

"Peggy watch out!" Natalia yelled, sparking a flame of annoyance in Dottie's body.

Maybe I should kill her first.

Dottie eyed her as Peggy skillfully managed to dodge the attack, the shield wedging itself into the metal sheet of the car. Peggy pulled it out and seemingly examined it, wiping away specks of debris from the silver.