Chapter 2. - New Mission

3rd Person POV

In the other room the kids weren't asleep but telling ghost stories.

"And to this day she kills the second born children of the Ruth estate." finished Tech as the others shivered from the bone chilling tale

"My turn" stated one of the boys, his name was James but everyone called him jump "and this one's true, in fact it's about our very own C." The others snapped to attention knowing this one was going to be good. "Have you ever wondered why she cries at night, how she came to be here two months ago?" Jump started with a deep voice that made the others slide away "The rumors say that C. could very well once have been an outlaw but not just any outlaw the famous Carmen Sandiego!" he said with a booming voice

"SHHH" the others said with urgency

"Okay, okay. Our tale begins on a remote island in the middle of nowhere. Legend has it on that island there was once a school for evil doers. Where they trained Carmen or as we know her C. she was the perfect spy, but there was a problem C. no longer wished to steal but only to heal the world. Carmen turned on them and one of the other criminals Power Failure and no one, not even the teachers of the school knew his real name. This spy though had one problem that would not be tolerated: he was in love with C. so they mind wiped him and made him forget about her. Carmen begged this evil business to bring him back and they said they would if Carmen did one last mission for them. When she arrived on site he was there and in chains and they killed him right before her eyes. So that is why she cries at night but there is more, some say that he lived and with his memory of Carmen is still looking for her today." Jump finished with a shiver from the rest.

"But with that kind of image in your head," Cam started

"She'll slip into darkness." Tech finished "we can't let that happen if he's out there we'll find him, for C." Tech said with confidence

"For C." the others echoed onboard with the plan but still unsure about how they would find a dead man.

"First order of business, make sure your little rumor is true" Tech nodded at Jump. "Meaning we need to make sure that C. really is the infamous thief Carmen Sandiego"

"Quick question," asked Cam "how exactly do we do that?"

"I've got that covered" replied Jump "Night, work with Feil and study C. Make sure this is actually what she's going through and not something else. Cam we need a picture of C. it has to be crystal clear or the facial recognition won't work. Tech you and I have a job we've got to get the facial recognition device. Any more questions?"

"Uh yeah," Night (Natalie) said "how, if she is really Carmen Sandiego, would we sneak past her to study her body language?" Feil (Felix) seconded in sign language.

"You're Night for a reason, but I understand regardless, hmm we could..." Jump said thinking hard "Oh you could study during the day instead of evening. Use your notes paper and use it to do your research and Night will still have the job of getting this information to us in secret so that C. doesn't find out." night nodded understanding; Feil nodded as well. "Then let's get to work"

"No not tonight," said Tech "look" and indeed the hallway light was on and every one scrambled for their own bed. Just Carlotta ValDes came in; but all she saw was every kid in their respective bed. After she had gone from the room Jump winked at Tech.

Tech POV

 This would all begin tomorrow and only god knows how long phase one would take. There will be three phases: Phase 1 (current phase) find out who C. is, Phase 2: (next Phase) find out if "Power Failure" or whatever his codename is; is really alive, Phase: 3 (final phase) If, and only If Power Failure is alive make contact and get him to C. if she is really Carmen Sandiego. Thought Tech lying awake. This plan was risky and to do it behind C.'s back; then what if the story isn't true at all and we are risking our lives in a wild goose chase.