004

A/n Just so yall know at about the end there will be a montage (not spoiling) and the song i have chosen for that is lights down low by MAX you can access it on the playlist, youtube or just search it on spotify so when you see the astrick (***) before a paragraph start playing the song. I hope you enjoy this chapter

"...that is why we brought in a Top Gun graduate with real world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary..." Warlock told the aviator as their heads turned to the footsteps approaching from behind. Having called their new instructor a grandpa not even twenty-four hours before Hangman put a hand over his eyes rubbing his temples. Karter furrowed her brows at the person walking toward the front. Since when was he an instructor? Why didn't he warn her he was coming? "..He is considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced. What he has to teach you may very well be the difference between life or death. I give you captain Pete Mitchell. Callsign: Maverick." Turning her head towards her boyfriend Karter saw Bradley glaring daggers at Maverick. He then turned to her giving her a look of slight hurt. He couldn't help but think she knew he was coming and didn't warn him. He felt betrayed that she was keping secrets from him.

"Good Morning." Maverick adressed as he took his place at the podium sparing Athena and Rooster who were having a silent fight with their eyes a glance. Holding up the manuel in his hands he turned his gaze back to the rest of the group, " I'm assuming you know this book inside and out."

"Damn straight." Payback responded. Maverick gave a small smile. God these kids were just like him when he started.

"Good." Maverick replied slamming the manuel into the trash can causing most of the Aviators to raise their brows. "So do your enemies. But what the enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find those limits and push beyond. So today we will start with what you think you know." At this everyone shared confused glances. What did he know that they didn't? "Dogfighting. You shoot me down." He told them. It couldn't be that easy. Karter knew her dad like the back of her hand. No way that was all they had to do.

"Whats the catch?" She asked. Maverick turned to look at her his smug smirk still glued to his face. "If you fail to shoot me I fire back." he replied. Fanboy, who was taught that defeat in an exercise meant a punishment then spoke up. "What do we have to do if you shoot us down?" he asked.

"Two-Hundred Push ups." Payback replied jokingly. Maverick nodded his head feeling stisfyed with the punishment for getting shot down. "Two-hundred push ups it is." He agreed causing Payback to look at him with wide eyes and everyone else to groan. "Get geared up."

⩥⩥⩥

"Bradley." Karter called following behind her boyfriend who had yet to talk to her since Maverick had arrived. "Bradley." she tried again. "Rooster....Lieutenant Bradshaw." She demanded causing him to turn around with his lips pursed. "What the hell is you problem?" She asked. Bradley laughed dryly turning his gaze to the sky for a split second. "You know exactly what my problem is." He replied.

Furrowing her brows Karter crossed her arms, scoffing. "No I really don't Bradley. We were perfectly fine until.." She cut herself of a look of realisation forming on her face as Bradley nodded. "So this is about my dad being in town." She concluded. Laughing dryly again Bradley rolled his eyes. "I'm not mad at you because he's here." He clarified. "I'm mad that you kept it a secret. I didn't realise these promise rings on our fingers meant 'I promise to tell you everything except when the man who set you back becomes our instructor for a life or death mission'." Karter furrowed her brows. What the the hell was he talking about?

"What-" She started but Bradley cut her off. "Don't. Lets just get this exercise over with." He said before walking off. Sighing Karter made her way towards her jet getting it set up so it was ready when it was her turn. "Trouble in Paradise?" Hangman asked having watched the couples interaction closely. Rolling her eyes Karter continued what she was doing. "It's none of you're business asshole." She replied going into the break room where they had set up a radio for the aviatiors curently not in the sky to listen in.