003

(Mav's POV)
I'd watched as they walked into the bar together. I'd watched as they made jokes with their friends, and received drinks i'd paid for, but I didn't dare say a word. To either of them. I didn't know what to say, and I knew they didn't have any desire to hold a conversation. So instead, I watched from afar, seemed to be what i was good at these days.

"She asks about sometimes you y'know." Penny stated, following my gaze across the bar to my daughter and godson.

"She does?" I responded, my features lighting up.

Penny nodded, but looked away, an unreadable expression on her face. "Not as often as I know you'd like her to." She confessed. "But, enough to show she still cares. Usually it's 'Is he still a dick?' sometimes it's nice though, depends on the day."

I chuckled, pursuing my lips. "Yeah, she sure knew how to make a dad feel special." I muttered, my eyes falling back in to the couple.

"He does." Penny said, making my eyes snap up to her, "Treat her well I mean. That's what you were thinking right?" She guessed.

"Am I that readable?" I asked, a hint of offense in my tone. "She looks happy." I noted, offering her my card.

Penny nodded again, moving to the reader. "She's in good hands Mav, but you and I both know she needs her father."

She was right, I wasn't there for many years of her life, but i'm here now, and I needed to take advantage of it before it was too late.