On Your Wedding Day

I sat at the very back of the church, careful not to cause disturbance to the wedding ceremony taking place.

Why did I come here you may ask?

It's because of my girlfriend. She is about to fly to another country due to her work and she asked me to accompany her here to offer some prayers. Something she always did whenever she leaves for her business trips. Today is the same as the other times we came here, or maybe a bit different because she will be leaving longer than before, and chances are she'll be staying there for good.

I was waiting for her but she was taking a bit longer than usual, so I decided to offer my prayer already. Even after I did, my girlfriend still hasn't arrived. I simply sat there waiting for her patiently while letting my eyes wander. My attention was then caught by the opening of the huge oak doors, it seems like the bride is about to make her entrance. Her wedding dress is very beautiful. It's simple but elegant, I heard the shuttering of cameras as the guests took pictures of the bride as she began to walk down the aisle.

Watching the scene unfold made me remember that one conversation I had with my girl a week ago.

Rosie and I have been dating for five years. Having her in my life is the greatest thing in the world. I am lucky to have her. She has many suitors but among them I am the one she chose to be with. Unlike her, I wasn't exactly a catch. While she came from a nice background I came from a terrible one. While she is a ball of sunshine, the optimistic and cheery girl who can brighten the whole world with one simple smile, I am a pessimistic person who often causes trouble to other people. Which is why when we were found out to be dating, a lot of people were shocked and began to hate me for stealing the precious Rosie from them.

At first it was extremely hard. Whenever we meet with her friends, I would always be compared to their respective partners. While they have stable jobs, high positions and great paychecks, I have none. It made me feel small and insignificant. I became ashamed of who I am to the point where I almost broke things off with Rosie. In fear of being a burden to her, she deserves the best and I clearly am not.

But that was four years ago. Rosie did not let me go, she can be stubborn when she wants. She keeps on telling me that she doesn't care about what others think, as long as I am with her then everything is beyond perfect. She told me that she did not love me for what I am or what I can offer, but because of who I am. Rosie would always shower me with compliments and would often proclaim her love for me, and I realized I was being stupid. Instead of thinking about breaking up with her I worked hard, I worked diligently. Not because I wanted to be someone she can show off to her friends, well partly, but most importantly so I can provide for her and for our family in the future. And I am glad that I did.

Now, I have my own company, and its because of Rosie who supported me all the way. I am beyond grateful to her family as well, since they never really questioned our relationship, they only said that I better not hurt the baby of their family or else... Well, it did not happen anyway. And I was able to keep my head intact from my body.

One night, we were watching a movie or more like I am watching a movie with Rosie cuddled on my side, her attention is on her phone as she scans what appears to be wedding gowns. Some of our friends have gotten married and we were always there to witness it. During those times, I would always see a certain look on Rosie's face as the couple began to say their wedding vows. Her hands clasped together, her concentration was entirely focused on the words being said, and few tears escaped from her pretty brown eyes. Oftentimes, after they gave their vows, Rosie's hands would find mine and I would take the opportunity to kiss the back of her hand, and in return I would be able to receive the most captivating smile in history.

We never openly talked about when will the two of us get married, but that night Rosie surprised me by saying "Is it okay if I design my own gown?"