Chapter Eight

I followed Jacob and Nora into their rehearsal room where they trained for their performances. Almost every student was there, training for the show they had next Wednesday. When we walked in everyone stopped. Everyone stared at me, which made me really uncomfortable. I was used to getting attention, but it was a whole other feeling when this was Jacob's friends.

Jacob looked at me like he saw I was uncomfortable and was trying to calm me down. I understood what he needed to do and nodded, almost unnoticeable, to him.
Jacob walked to the middle of the room like he was gonna hold a speech. "Everyone," he began, "this is my cousin Joline. She's a very special guest here today and a few weeks forward. Please, be afraid of her."

To my surprise everyone started clapping hands before walking forward, welcoming me to the group. Jacob and Nora walked towards me, talking and laughing with each other.
"So, what do you think of this place so far?" Nora asked, winking with her eyes.

"It's cool, I guess," I answered. "Everyone seems nice."

"You guess...?"

"Yeah, I mean, I've been here for less than one hour. What do you want me to say?" I answered.

"You have a point."

"Soo," she said, "what do you say about eating at a nice restaurant with Zach and Mary at lunchtime?"

I saw how Jacob rolled his eyes, unhappy with the situation.

"Shouldn't you like... practice?" I asked.

"There you see, Nora," Jacob said happily.

"Joline thinks we should practice, and she's five years younger than us. You wanted an answer, now you've got it."

I saw how the smile on her lips faded away.
"But later, maybe," I said, in an attempt to comfort. "Dinner?"

She seemed happy with that.

~~~~~~~~

The rest of the day went slow. I watched everyone rehearse and during the pauses I talked with Jacob, Nora and her friends Zach and Mary. I found out that Zach was Nora's twin-brother, and honestly, I wouldn't think of anything else.

At lunchtime I sat with Jacob, Zach, Nora and Mary, and that was when I realized that the word about me and Theo had spread. Almost everyone stood in a big row to come talk to me. I got popular very quickly among the young adults, almost like I had known them all my life. Everyone seemed to think it was cool that I was related to a world-known celebrity.

~~~~~~~~

Time flew by so fast that I didn't realize when it was time for dinner. Nora asked me where I wanted to eat, and I told her that I always loved a little, homely Italian pasta-restaurant in an equally small alley in New York growing up.

Jacob laughed a little. "You certainly did," he said. "You were crazy about it."

I held out my tongue, pretending to be angry at him.

"I actually have never eaten there," Nora said.

I gaped. "Then you've missed something."

We walked into Zach's car, and he sat down behind the wheel. I was placed in the middle, with Jacob on the left side and Nora on the right. Mary sat on the passenger seat.

I listened to music on my Airpods while I drummed with my fingers to the music. I didn't really have an interest in listening to their conversations, and they didn't make an effort to let me be a part of it. I was kinda grateful for that, I didn't really feel like talking.

~~~~~~~~

When we got to the restaurant my brain was filled with lots of memories, both good and bad. I was wondering if the owner, Eduardo, would recognize me nowadays, I mean I had changed a lot the past few years. I started to remember the feel of the old, but still comfy couches, the smell of new, homemade pasta, the sound of the rattling pots through the open kitchen. I felt safe being here, it was like a second home to me (well third, I guess). Eduardo had practically become the father I never had.

I walked in after Jacob, in an arm hook with Nora, just like I had done with Theo all those years ago. Eduardo met us in the hallway, welcoming us to his restaurant, and we followed him to our table.

I smiled a little sly smile, waiting to see if he recognized me. I actually hoped that he would.

He asked the others what they wanted, before looking at me.

"Do I know you...?" he asked. "You look kinda familiar."

I smiled again while I reached out my hand to him. "Joline," I said. "Joline Clarke."

"Joline!" he exclaimed. "Is that really you?"

I nodded.

He sighed, obviously really surprised. "How long has it been? Five years?"

"Seven, actually," I answered. "It's good to see you, Eduardo."

"You too." He smiled. "The same as usual?"

"You know me too well."

~~~~~~~~

We sat at our table long after we'd eaten. We talked, something I hadn't done in a long time.

Suddenly Eduardo showed up at our table. He looked at me straight away. "What is it?" I wondered.

"I don't want to ruin the moment," he said with a serious tone, "but Theo is here."

I felt my face turning red. "Of course he is," I answered before sighing. "Where?"

"Left corner." He sounded a bit worried, like he knew what was going to happen.

When he said that it all burned. I couldn't handle meeting him now, not after he saw me in Atlanta just two days ago.
"I-I have to go," I said and ran outside.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~