one | reunion from hell

♥

THE MOON HAD RISEN AS RUBY Baker stood in the treelines of a trailer park, staring at one caravan that had become a permeant home for her younger brother.

Ruby was waiting for the signal: the dinosaur night light in the window.

As she waited, Ruby had smoked, using it more as a distraction from her mind. It had been a few days since Ruby had last seen Chase, which was now too long after everything. Already, it had taken Ruby a few months to get to him in Hawkins since she had been stuck on crutches.

When the night light finally appeared, it was coming up to nine in the evening — a time when her brother should be asleep, even on a weekend. Ruby breathed in the last toke of her cigarette before putting it out.

Shoving her hands deep in the pockets of her denim jacket, Ruby headed towards the caravan. A box remained outside as Ruby dropped her rucksack on the floor before she stepped up onto the box, raising her fist to knock quietly on the glass window. Having heard his sister, Chase Baker's innocent face appeared with a smile so bright that it warmed Ruby's heart.

The five-year-old struggled to open the window, but when he did, he reached out, taking Ruby's hand.

"Ruby, you came," Chase said in pure delight. "Is it time?"

With her heart aching, Ruby shook her head. Seeing her brother's joy evaporate made it harder for Ruby to find the words. If it was down to her, Chase would not be here.

"Listen, Chase," said Ruby, squeezing his tiny hand. "It's complicated, okay?"

"I want to go home with you," Chase whined. "I don't like it here!"

His bottom lip wobbled, tears welling in his eyes. Ruby knew Chase missed their dad too that only made Ruby feel guiltier.

This was all her fault.

Ruby did not have the heart to tell him that their small family home already had a new family living inside, oblivious to what had happened to the Baker's. For Ruby, she currently had no home, and Chase was stuck with his shitty mom until Ruby found a way to take him in herself.

"I know, but there are rules," Ruby told him.

"You always broke Daddy's rules," Chase pointed out.

"These are rules with the police."

"Daddy said you got in trouble with the police."

"That was a while ago," Ruby was quick to reply, hating how foolish she had been to have shoplifting on her record now when it could risk her custody case. "These rules are different."

"What kind of rules?"

"Rules like you have to stay here until I can prove that I can look after you," Ruby explained.