three | vecna's curse

♥

EVEN WITH RUBY'S DECISION made, she had not thought it through properly. The large group was already climbing into Steve's car, oblivious to Ruby coming to a standstill with reality suddenly hitting her.

"We are driving?" Ruby questioned, though it seemed foolish.

"Shit," muttered Steve, realising.

Robin and Steve exchanged a brief look before Robin got into the back with the two younger teenagers. Just looking at the car and Ruby felt her stomach churn — the pain deep within her leg returning.

"Ru, you don't have to come," Steve told her again.

"I-I..."

But Ruby didn't know what to say.

"Hey, it's okay," said Steve, taking a step towards her. "You're okay, Ru."

The fear was suffocating, preventing her from speaking. All Ruby wanted to do was run away, but her mind was stuck on Eddie again. Ruby was worried about him; if he was in danger, then Ruby couldn't walk away.

So, Ruby's fists curled together tightly with her nails digging into the skin of her palm, breaking the scene from replaying in her head. The brief pain distracted Ruby — just enough for her to find a slither of bravery. Though, it didn't look believable, where Steve just seemed more worried.

"I swear to God Steve, if you drive like a maniac, I will kill you myself," Ruby told him.

"I get it," Steve reassured her. "I promise I'll drive as carefully as I can."

"And seatbelts?" Ruby questioned.

"Will be worn at all times," Steve promised.

Ruby nodded her head, trying to keep her fear buried.

"You sure about this?" Steve questioned.

"No," answered Ruby. "But let's go."

Trying to prove that she had the nerve, Ruby walked towards the car, opening the passenger door as she stared at the seat. Ruby felt her heartbeat thundering, causing her hands to tremble as she sunk down in the seat.

In front of her eyes, her father's dead body flashed as Ruby closed her eyes.

Behind her, the others were silent, unintentionally making it harder for Ruby.

"Ru, you okay?" Steve questioned next to her.

"Just go," Ruby snapped at him.

Then, Ruby's shaky hands reached for the seatbelt, clipping it into place with her legs pulling back closer to the seat, away from the front of the car. Ruby kept her eyes low, staring at her hands that were gripped together tightly.

"How about the radio..."

"No!" Ruby shouted.

Yet, already, Uptown Girl was playing in Ruby's ears — the sound just as haunting as the rest of the crash. Scrunching her eyes shut again, Ruby could already feel her headaches returning.