10| Trust the Process

Fred quietly unlocks the front door and enters the house. He tiptoes up the stairs back to bed, but is frightened when Alice steps out of her room.

"You scared me. Didn't I tell you to go to bed?"

"I know. I know, but you were taking forever to come back. I just wanted to be sure everything was fine. How is he?"

"He's going to be fine."

"I'd go talk to him, but it's probably better to wait until the morning, huh?"

"Yeah, about that..." Fred fiddles with his fingers. "He's not here."

"What? But you said you were bringing him back. You gave me your word."

"There's been a slight change in plans."

"Where is he? You also said he wouldn't leave."

"He didn't leave. I just helped him get situated somewhere else for the time being. I'm asking you to trust me on this and ask no further questions on the matter."

"I thought you said everything was fine between us. Did I scare him off?"

"No, this has nothing to do with you. This is simply something he needs and all I ask is for it to be left like that. He'll be back soon."

"How long?"

He'll allow that question. "Three weeks. That's it."

"Weeks?"

"Yes. It'll fly by quick."

"Well I guess it's not six years," Alice tries to joke to lighten up the mood, but it's truly no help.

"He'll be back soon. Until then this gives you both time to think this over. It'll be good for you both if you allow it to. Is that going to be okay with you?"

"I suppose. I'm just going to miss him though."

Fred pulls her into a hug. "It's okay to miss him. It only means you care and by caring you're actually helping him through this."

Alice digs her head into his chest. She needs the comfort of the hug. Fred has always looked out for them both.

+++

Charles shuffles into the kitchen minutes after dragging himself out of bed. He sees the adults, but can't help to notice one missing.

"Good morning," He says as he takes a seat at the table. "Is FP still asleep?"

The three adults all awkwardly share glances with each other. Who was going to explain it to him?

Alice delicately grabs his chin. "There's something we need to tell you, baby."

"What?" He gives her an innocent look, and it crushes her.

"He's not going to be with us for a few weeks."

"Why not? Does he not like living with us?"

"He does. You're his favorite roommate, bud." Fred assures him.

"Then why is he gone? Is he a soldier again?"

"No," Alice shakes her head. "He's just getting some alone time to make him feel better."

"Is he sick?"

"No, he's not sick. It's a bit complicated, honey."

"Can I call him to make him feel better like he does with me?"

"Oh, uh, he can't use the phone right now." Fred helps Alice with his questions.

"But I'm going to miss him." He pouts.

"We all miss him, but he'll be back before you know it." Hermione brings over his breakfast. "He told us he wants you to be a happy boy while he's gone. Can you do that?"

"But he's my new best friend. He was helping me teach Hot Dog new tricks."

"He told me I could help you since I taught Vegas cool tricks when he was a puppy," Fred tells him.

"Mom?"

"Yes?" She combs back his hair with her fingers.

"Will he miss me?"

"He already does."

"Then tell him to come back so he's not sad."

"Oh," Alice doesn't know what to say. "I'm sorry, baby, I can't."

"But what if he doesn't come back?"

"He will. You don't have to worry about that."

"Daddy never did!" Charles shoves her away and runs back to his room.

"Charles!"

"I think I know where his concerns lie," Hermione announces. "He's afraid he'll leave him, too."

"This is going to be a hard three weeks," Fred agrees.

"How am I supposed tell him they're the same person without breaking his heart and confusing him? I don't want him to be mad at FP. This isn't even his fault for not knowing."

"I thought you were waiting to do it together," Hermione questions.

"I am. I know he wants to do it together. It's the least I can do for them."

"Do you want to go talk to him or should I?" Fred wonders.

"I'll go talk to him." Alice declares. "There's a lot we need to discuss."

She excuses herself and walks to Charles's room. She knocks and asks for him to open the door. "Charles, please open up."

"No! I want to be sad by myself!"

"I don't like it when you're sad. Can I help cheer you up?"

"No!"

"Do you think he's going to be happy knowing you're sad?"

Charles knows the answer is no. He opens the door and hugs his mother's legs.

"He really likes your drawings. How about we make him one every day so you can give them to him when he comes back. It will make him really happy."

"He's coming back?" Charles wants to hear the confirmation one more time, just to be sure.

"Yes."

"Do you miss him, too?"

"Yes, baby. I miss him, too, but we have each other in the meantime. How does that sound?"

"Good. My mommy always knows how to kiss the grumpiness away."

Alice smiles and picks him up to pepper him with kisses. "I'm glad to hear that."