29| Oh, Baby

FP, Fred, and Hermione all have the day off from work since the newlyweds are out visiting Hermione's mother.

Charles is out on a play date with a boy from school and Alice is at work. That leaves FP to figure out what to do all alone at home.

He decides to use the time to help clean up around the house. He starts from the bottom up. He puts the clean dishes away and tidies up around the kitchen. He cleans up Charles's toys in his room and puts away his laundry before separating his and Alice's clothes in their dresser.

He wanders into their bathroom. He opens one of the drawers to store away the extra clean hand towels. To his surprise he finds a pregnancy test, a positive one to be exact. He doesn't know how to react. Alice was pregnant?

He sits on the edge of the bathtub and stares at the test for what feels like hours. They have talked about having another child eventually, but this was sooner than expected.

He's going to be a dad again. Sure, this baby wasn't planned either but this time he is ready to be there for Alice. They would be able to do the whole pregnancy together.

He leaves the test on the counter and practically sprints out the door to run down to the market.

+++

Fred and Hermione come home to a deranged man going all over the place.

Fred follows him into the den. "FP? What are you up to?"

Hermione walks in behind Fred.

FP turns around and steps aside to reveal the basket he has been stuffing with little gifts for the baby and Alice. He holds out the bouquet of the flowers he picked from the store to show them. "Do you think she'll like it?"

"What's all this?" Hermione's eyes go to the basket. She gasps when she sees the tiny onesie.

"Alice is pregnant. I found the test in our bathroom."

"FP-" Hermione tries to speak but Fred beats her to it.

"You impregnated her again?" Fred asks in shock.

"Maybe it's not planned again but I'm so ready to be a dad," FP says excitedly. A part of him is terrified, but to be doing this with Alice is what eases his worries. "The whole nine months and the thereafter. I will be right by her side. Like how I should have when it came to Charles."

"FP, can I talk to you for a second?" Hermione pulls him aside so they can talk privately.

"What's up? Is it the flowers?" FP looks down at the bouquet in his hands. "There weren't many to pick from and I couldn't get the peonies. You know I can't do that."

"Alice isn't pregnant," Hermione whispers to him.

FP's face drops into confusion. "What do you mean? I found the test. It's positive."

"She didn't take the test." Hermione takes in a deep breath. "I did."

"You're pregnant?"

"Shh. Alice was there to support me. I haven't told Fred yet. I'm scared. We talked about having a baby one day, but not this soon. What if he doesn't want to be a dad yet?"

FP gives her the flowers. "Mione, the man loves you. He married you for God's sake. He'll be on board. Even if this wasn't planned, he will be happy to find out he's going to be a dad."

"Are you sure?" Hermione asks hopeful.

"You need to go tell him. I promise you everything will be okay."

"You're right." She smiles. "Oh my God, I'm going to be a mom." The realization strikes again. "I'm not naming my baby after you, so don't get your hopes up."