The first spark

The waterbuckets swung up and down, spilling water all over the ground as I ran towards the smoke.

'I'm right behind you!' Astrid yelled while I ran into the burning house. Flames raged all over the place and crawled towards every corner. I held my breath and unloaded all the water at the nearest flame, making a cloud of smoke lift up in the air. I closed my eyes and ran back to the water well. The chances of this house survival were dwindling in the single digits now.

Someone hadn't repaired their fire prevention in time and now their entire house was getting swallowed by flames. In a village with a fire spitting dragon around every corner, how stupid would you have to be!

I scooped the bucket into water well. A screaming woman ran towards us. Her face was full of panic. She took a big breath and screamed: 'My daughter! My daughter is still in there! She... She is upstairs! ' The woman collapsed and stood up again, but couldn't move a leg.

Astrid tossed the buckets to the side and ran back towards the house. I followed her lead. 'I'm right behind you! Toothless, if something goes wrong you have to get us out of there!'

'Stormfly you too! You check the left rooms, I'll check the right ones, otherwise you pick the second closest!'

When I entered the house I held my breath. The entire room was filled with smoke, worse than before. Beams that were holding up the ceiling started to slip because of the holes that the flames had eaten away. I reached the stairs by climbing over furniture while staying low. Astrid smashed open the first door and ran into the room. The floor cracked under my feet: we didn't have long.

I ran into the left room: fire everywhere. My eyes shut because of the smoke, parts of the ceiling fell down. I forced my eyes to open and did a quick scan across the room, no baby. Half blinded I rushed back into the hall while the entire ceiling of the chamber that I just left crashed down.

'I got her!' Astrid screamed. 'STORMFLY!'

'TOOTHLESS!' I screamed. I dashed to the end of the hall while holes formed in the floor. I could no longer hold my breath and breathed in the toxic gasses. I kicked open the door to the roof and jumped off the building. Not a second in the air and Toothless already caught me. My eyes and lungs were burning. I closed my eyes and tried to get my breathing under control. Toothless landed safely on the ground.

'Isabelle isn't home. We don't know where she is! You need her?' Snotlout yelled.

'We do need one! Go search for her!' Astrid yelled to my right.

'I can help! Bring her to me!' an unknown voice yelled. I managed to open my eyes a little and caught a glimpse of a boy around my age waving behind me.

'Astrid...' I couldn't finish my sentence because I coughed. Toothless made a worried sound. I petted him on the head to let him know I was ok. It hurt, a lot, but I was ok.

'I heard it. On my way!' Astrid yelled.

Finally I managed to keep my eyes open. I had never seen him before. His voice was low and he had a strong vikinglike accent like most men in the village. I had my doubts for a second, but doing it ourselves was too risky. Why would he hurt the baby, even if he was a spy he would blow his cover and get himself killed.

'Bring me cold water and some clean cloth!' He yelled while inspecting the baby. She had burns all over her body and was crying. I ran to the water well and got a bucket of water. Astrid had already flown off to get some cloth.

The boy ripped off a piece of his sleeve and dipped it in the water I brought him and cooled the burns while the baby was lying on his lap. I noticed he was pretty short, five foot six. He had a light shade of brown hair in a side part.