sickness

After we finished gathering Zippleback gas I sat down next to my dad so we both would get up to date.
     'We were able to get almost just as much Zippleback gas as for the fireworms. If we let two barrels explode on the vital points of the ship, we would take it down.
When we returned we wanted to take a little rest before getting back to work at the tavern, but my dad beckoned me to follow him.
     Please for Thors sake, can it be good news! Just for once!
'What is it, dad?' I asked when me and Toothless landed next to him. We were walking towards our house.
     'There is a sickness spreading in our village. I've already spoken with Isabelle and she will need help, Emil.
     I didn't respond. The only thing I could think about was how fucked up the situation was. Every little spark of light had to be extinguished right away.
'Hiccup? Everything ok?'
     I took a deep breath. 'How can I be ok with all this, this hopelessness. But it doesn't matter, I'll just keep fighting. How bad is it?'
     'Hiccup...'
     'The only way for us to be "ok" is winning this war, so just please tell me. How bad is it?'
     'Twenty people are sick but it seems to keep increasing. It is spreading and I don't know how to stop it. Any ideas, just any?' Dad asked. I shook my head.
'I'll ask Emil, maybe he has some insights. Anything more you need me to do?'
     Dad put his left arm on my shoulder. 'Please take care of yourself.'
     'I know.' I said softly and turned around.

I walked into the tavern. 'Emil, Isabelle needs you, it's urgent, maybe you can get some rest there.' I said. Emil turned around and looked me in the eyes, just a little bit too long. Even through all the stress I wondered for a moment if it meant something. I immediately threw the idea in the trash pile.
     'Uhm, yeah, I'll come. What's exactly the matter?'
     'I'll tell you on the way.'

     'A sickness is spreading in the village. Isabelle needs your help.'
     'Wait, it's spreading? Are there any measures that have been taken?' Emil looked me stressed in the eyes.
     'Well, Isabelle is treating them. What more can we do?'
     'We must isolate everyone with symptoms, now!'
     'What? How does that help?'
     'Because often the people who have been in contact with the sick get sick as well. We need to go to stoick and get everyone informed.' Emil grabbed my hand and started running.
     'Emil, wait!' I didn't run with him so our hands got disconnected. Emil turned around, obviously annoyed.
     'What?'
     'You should discuss this with Isabelle. What you are asking is a bit too big to just decide on your own.'
     'Come on! Last time I was right as well, can't you just trust me?'
     'I do, but I trust Isabelle as well. Because you were right once, doesn't mean you are always right.'
    Emil had already given up trying to convince me. 'Fine, fine, I'll talk to her. I'll see you later.'
     'Wait, I'm coming with you!' Emil, who already started running, stopped.
    'By Thor, I just told you that people who have gotten in contact with the sick tend to get sick as well. You shouldn't go to Isabelle!'
     'That makes zero sense! You can get sick as well. You shouldn't go to her either in that case!'
     'AAA, stop! I won't get sick ok? It's very unlikely, I'll be carefull. I'm not going to explain this to you, I need to hurry. You stay here. I know what I'm doing!' Emil yelled the last sentence because he already started running.'
     'but... oh never mind.'

It wasn't even half an hour later and my dad blew the horn for an announcement.
     Jeez, how did he convince them so freaking fast?
The villagers were skeptical about the sickness spreading from person to person so you would expect them not following the rules, but Emil had one thing going for him and that was my dad. He made it very, very clear that it was really important. Nonsense or not, if my dad said it, you better listen. Yeah, it sounds stupid coming from me since I never listened to him if I didn't feel like it, but I was the exception.
     About the rules. They were pretty simple. If you were coughing, couldn't smell good or had a headache, then you had to go to Isabelle and you would stay there or you could stay home if you lived home alone. Isabelle determined when you could get out of isolation.

'Yo Emil, what did you do yesterday to convince my dad and Isabelle in half an hour?' Emil was flying with Spikehead, practicing maneuvers. The mood was still dim, but I tried to make the best of it. Emil landed next to me and Toothless.
     'Because I'm right. I get fired up when lifes are on the line, you've seen that. Also it isn't that big of a deal kinda. Well maybe it is, I don't know. I have proven myself last time so I think they thrust me?'
     I laughed, how did he manage to be high spirited, even now. At least it seemed like it.
    'So are you going to explain why we need to isolate the sick?'
     'Right,' Emil said. He took off his helmet and jumped off Spikehead. It was lowkey hot how he did it. I didn't know why, sometimes stupid little things are just hot. Just like when a guy wears a necklace.
     And his hair, it was messy because of the helmet, it was so cute. Emil gave me a strange look since I was staring at him for just a bit too long.
     'So our village has really good healers. We studied disease for generations and one of the things that we noticed was that people who have been in contact with the sick often get sick as well. We tracked some people and it turned out we were right, so sickness is something that is spread from person to person. Well, most of the time, not always.'
'That's really smart, but that doesn't explain why you wouldn't get the disease, did you just keep your distance?'
     'Some disease you can only catch once. I am familiar with this one and this is such a kind of disease. I've already had it. It is actually known as a war disease. We have used it as well. We bring someone who is sick to the enemy village and let the disease spread. I think the same must have happened here. I have already reported it to your dad but he said no one entered the village except for the trader. It's really strange. The trader alone should not be enough for so many people to get sick in such a short amount of time. I guess it must have been bad luck.'
     'Wait, the trader had sheep in his ship and he sold them for way too cheap. Could it be possible that the disease went from a sheep to a human. After that all the sheep got sick as well!'
    'I don't know, I've never thought about that. That could be an option.'
     'And on the night of the fireworms we all sat with the sheep in the great hall, that could have spread the sickness among so many people.'
'It makes sense. I guess it's the most likely option of all, but we can't prove it.'
     'We just need to make sure that the trader doesn't come back. It already happened anyway.' I said.
     'Yeah, you are right. I'll continue with practicing now, there is a lot I need to learn.'
     'Me and Toothless will help you. Right bud?' Toothless made a confirming growl. 'We won't train for too long. Tomorrow we will need all of our energy.'