I won't make it that easy

Astrid jumped off Stormfly as we landed next to the great hall. 'Something is going on here. Screaming Deaths are incredibly rare.'

'They live solitary, never work together, don't live close to Berk and dragon root should work on them. Even if they were scared away from their home, they wouldn't attack us.' Fishlegs counted along with his fingers.

I couldn't concentrate. My thoughts kept dwindling off to the Screaming Deaths. They attacked us, but I didn't want to kill them. I knew we technically didn't kill them but they had no chance of surviving in the ocean. Something told me that they were forced to attack us. But how? They were untrainable.

Astrid walked towards me and put her hand on my shoulder. 'You ok?' she whispered.

I shook my head while looking down. 'I should be.' I did nothing wrong, but I still felt guilty.

'But you are not... Wanna go home?' Astrid exactly knew what was going on in my head.

I shook my head and made eye contact again. 'That won't help. Let's finish this first.' The others had noticed us and waited with their discussion.

'So what do you guys think? Could it be dragon hunters?' Astrid asked.

'I don't understand any of this.' Tuffnut said.

'Yeah this makes no sense.' Ruffnut said while she swung with her arms.

'For once I agree with you.' Snotlout said.

'Maybe we provoked them accidentally?' Emil suggested.

'There is no way. They don't live anywhere close.' Fishlegs said.

I took a deep breath. 'We should have a look at Tunnel Island. It's the closest place they live. Me and Astrid will go. You should stay here in case the Screaming Deaths come back.' Everyone nodded except Astrid and Emil.

'Maybe we should go tomorrow.' Emil said, looking at Astrid.

'Yeah. Let's get cleaned up. If anyone comes up with an idea, please tell us.' Astrid looked me in the eyes. The 'don't argue with me' eyes.

Astrid, Emil and I headed towards my house. I kicked a stone to the side. 'I told you I'm fine.'

Astrid sighed. 'No you're not. You're constantly thinking about it. It distracts you.'

Emil messed up my wet hair. 'Tomorrow is better.'

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Astrid and I flew above Tunnel Island. It was a flat wasteland covered in a thick layer of sand with gray rocks sticking out of it. Not much lived here.

Nothing had changed, no signs of dragon hunters. If they had captured a Screaming Death you would at least have expected some remains of the battle. Splinters, arrows, weapons, blood.

Toothless checked a few caves with his echolocation and found some Screaming Deaths. If they came from here there shouldn't be any Screaming Death left, they were already extremely rare.

'Maybe they're the same Screaming Deaths.' Astrid said. 'Let's use the dragon root on them to check.'

Astrid drew her bow while Toothless shot a plasma blast in the tunnel. The screaming death shot out of the tunnel, but before he fully left it Astrid had already hit the arrow. We flew up and easily avoided him for twenty seconds until he dropped out of the sky. We made sure not to fly too high so he wouldn't get hurt.'

'So they don't come from here.' Astrid said while thinking of what it could mean.

'If the dragon hunters created the attack, it probably means they had a base which was closer to another Island with Screaming Deaths. Maybe that strain is immune to dragon root.'

'That makes sense, but... how do they train these dragons and capture so many? They're immune to dragon root. Are they enslaved like Krogan's dragons were?'

I scratched my neck. 'I hope not. That would mean they can train the most powerful dragons and one rider could control multiple screaming deaths.' I dug my hands into my hair. 'I hope it costs them a lot of time to gain control of them.'

'Calm down. We have no reason to believe they can create an entire army of dragons that won't listen. And they might as well have acted on their own.'

'Yeah, you're right. We must find out if this is the work of dragon hunters, how they do it and put a stop to it. It probably means they can train other dragons as well.' I jumped off Toothless and started walking in circles.

'So we won't let them.' Astrid jumped to the ground. 'We know where the Screaming Deaths fled towards. We could investigate it tomorrow.'

I looked up and sighed. 'There is only one problem. Without us our defenses are weak.

'Gobber, Valka and Eret can defend us and Toothless can instruct the other dragons to defend our home. It's worth the risk. Meanwhile we should build more artillery.' The other dragons didn't help fighting the Screaming Deaths because Toothless ordered them not to. If we were losing, we would have asked for their help. but if I could prevent it, I would not put them in danger.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

'You seem worried.' Mom said while Astrid and I entered the living room. She was sitting in front of the fire with Emil. He greeted us with a nod. 'Never mind. You first gotta eat. Sit down.'

'I'm glad you're back.' Emil said. His tools lay next to the table. He just couldn't relax until we got home safely. It was so sweet, I couldn't help but smile.

Mom warmed up the chicken and sat down next to us. 'So, what did you find?'

'Nothing really.' I said. 'The Screaming Deaths didn't come from Tunnel Island. The dragonroot worked.

'We will investigate in the direction the Screaming Deaths fled tomorrow. The problem is that we leave Berk undefended might they come back.' Astrid said. I rubbed her arm. She hated the thought just as much as I did. She was very protective towards her parents.

'Don't worry about that. Me, Gobber and Eret will take care of that. This island is crowded with dragons. They will defend us. The most important thing is that we find out who caused this attack and stop them. We have to take risks.'

'Yeah... I just wish we could be at two places at the same time.' I said.

'I get it, but it is very unlikely another attack will be launched soon. You took out seven Screaming Deaths.'

'And if they were controlled by dragon hunters, they probably would have attacked with most of their army.' Emil said.

'You're right. Tomorrow we will investigate. Meanwhile make sure we build as much artillery as possible and increase the dragon root storage.' I said and took a bite of the chicken.

'Yes chief.' Mom said with a smile.

I tilted my head to the right. 'Please don't do that.'

Astrid and Emil laughed. 'But we have to let you think that you're the boss.' Astrid said while putting her hand over her mouth so she didn't spit out the food.

'Is it working?' Emil leaned forward with a hopeful face.

I shook my head. 'You are playing a dangerous game.' I pointed my finger to the three of them.