Chapter 1

I woke up with a start, my heart pounding

I woke up with a start, my heart pounding. The dream was so vivid, so real, that for a moment I thought I was still there. The sound of shattering glass and twisting metal filled my ears. The smell of burning rubber and gasoline filled my nostrils, the screech of tires ringing in my ears. I blinked several times, trying to shake off the residual terror, and glanced around my unfamiliar room. It was still dark outside, the sun not yet poking its head above the horizon. I sighed, realizing that it was far too early to be awake. I should have slept in, but I just couldn't seem to shake the dream.

With a sigh, I sat up and swung my legs over the side of the bed. The cool wooden floor felt nice against my feet as I padded across the room to switch on the lamp. Its soft, yellow light chased away the shadows, revealing my plain but cozy bedroom. I was grateful for the familiarity of it all, even if it was just a reprieve from the haunting memories that seemed to follow me wherever I went.

I glanced at the clock on my nightstand. It was still too early to get ready for school. With nothing else to do, I decided to take a moment to myself and try to clear my head. I climbed back under the covers and lay down, my arms folded behind my head. The cool sheets felt good against my skin, and I closed my eyes, taking deep breaths in an attempt to calm down.

The events of the dream seemed to be stuck on a loop in my mind, like a broken record. My parents' accident played out over and over again, the images and sounds never fading, no matter how hard I tried to push them away. It had been like this for days now, ever since I had moved to this new town to begin again.

I rolled over onto my side, my eyes still closed, and tried to focus on something else. Anything else. But the memories were relentless, refusing to release their hold on me. Finally, I sat up again, deciding that maybe getting out of bed and doing something would help.

I padded across the room to the window, pulling aside the curtains to reveal the early morning sky. It was still dark, but there was a hint of pink and orange on the horizon, promising a beautiful day ahead. The air was crisp and clean, a welcome change from the smog-filled atmosphere of this town. I let out a slow breath, feeling a small sense of peace wash over me as I took in the serene sight.

I decided to take a quick shower, hoping that the warm water would help wash away some of the lingering memories from my dream. As I stood beneath the stream of water, I closed my eyes and let my mind wander. I tried to focus on the present moment, on the feel of the water on my skin, the smell of the soap, the sound of the shower. It was a small escape, but it was enough to help me forget about the past, even if only for a little while.

After drying off, I began to get dressed for school. I had chosen to wear a pair of dark jeans and a comfortable sweater, a simple yet stylish outfit that made me feel confident and put together. As I brushed my long, dark hair, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My reflection stared back at me, a mixture of determination and sadness in her eyes. I knew that I would never forget my parents, but I also knew that I had to move forward with my life.