Chapter One - My Sister

1932, Brooklyn General Hospital, 31st October

Bucky's POV:

I'm pacing around, waiting for the results, while my best friend, Steve, sits dutifully waiting with me in the uncomfortable plastic chairs provided at the hospital.

I'm waiting for my mother. For the doctor to tell me she's alright and well. And... for my new sister.

The doctor walks out, Dr. Danny, and I'm pretty sure that I got whiplash in my neck from looking so quickly at him. I stop pacing.

"Congratulations! Your sister is perfectly healthy." He exclaims when he sees me. "However your mother... she got significantly weaker. From what we can see, her condition has gotten worse. She's now at an extremely high risk of lung failure and liver poisoning. Our advice is to not make her work too much. It's a shame that your father.. left you." Dr. Danny kept smiling, even through my mother's problems.

I was left with my feelings of shock, excitement and slight passive anger.

My father left the family as soon as he was told that he was getting another kid. I, on the other hand, was excited to meet my new sister, excited to be a part of her life. I desperately want to be a good big brother and I know that Steve, no matter how small and weak he his, would definitely kill me if I didn't let him be around her.

Letting go of my frustration towards my father, I walk into the room where my mother is.

She looks up from the lilac bundle in her arms and beckons me closer.

"Hey Buck, meet your new sister, Lilith." She whispers, her voice obviously hoarse and in need of water.

Steve passed a newly filled cup of water to her as my mother passed me Lilith. I look down and notice how much she looks like my father, our father. Completely dark chocolate brown eyes looked up at me, burning with life yet her mouth was closed. More silent than a dark room at three in the morning. In simple terms, my beautiful baby sister. But when I looked at my mother, I saw something different. A defeated and disappointed look, hiding behind a smile that I used to feel comfort around. That look was aimed at the precious child in my arms.

Slowly, subtly, I tighten my arms around her and bring my attention to her iridescent eyes. She smiles at me and I swear to all the Gods I don't believe in, that I melted inside.

"Give her here Buck." My mother said, an cold, underlying, strict tone.

Immediately, I know that my mother isn't joking, and I can feel the hate radiating off of her body as I hand Lilith back to her.

Suddenly, her voice turns back to the soft one I grew up with, "I need rest, sweetie. So, could you do me a favour, please?" I nod my head in confirmation. "Thank you. Can you and Steve take Lilith home. Talk to the front desk first, about everything you need to take care of her for a few nights." She murmured, just loud enough for us to hear her before she fell asleep.

As Steve and I walk to the front desk, Steve holding Lilith, I begin thinking about my mother and how, every time she looked at Lilith, there was disgust on her face. What was with her? Did she want Lilith to be different? Look differen- oh. Lilith looks like me. I look like my father.

Recently, any mention of my father has been strictly forbidden in our house. That must mean... she wanted Lilith to look like herself.

My mother is pretty, elegant, some might say, with light brown hair and hazel eyes.

My father had choppy, black hair as iff he'd cut it himself and black eyes.

Both Lilith and I inherited more traits from my father's side of the genes. Dark brown hair, big eyes, and (although mine are a bit lighter) dark brown eyes.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I hope my mother doesn't treat Lilith differently, just because she looks like our father.

"Hey... Steve?" I begin.

"Yeah? What is it?" He replies quietly, eyes motioning towards the baby who began to sleep.

"Can we go to your house instead? I'm just thinking that Mrs Sally would have a better idea on how to take care of a baby."

""How many times has she told you to just call her 'Sally' or 'Auntie'. I don't want to have another lecture on how my friend is 'too uptight around her'. Also, yeah I think that'd be fine, she would know what to do and we're only 13 so I think she'd be more than okay with that."

"Alright, thanks. I'm not giving up manners, by the way."

"Of course you won't." Steve grumbled out.

"Hello boys! What can I do for you today?" The lady at the front desk asks.

~