Chapter 2 - Over the Years

Hey everyone! I have made a decision for dialogue. If there is a lot of dialogue in the chapter I will reference it up here so I don't have to write out how they talk. So for example: for this chapter Bucky will be speaking in Bold and Steve will be speaking in italics.

Enjoy the chapter!

Bucky's POV:

It's been two years since Lilith was born. Two years is enough for a person to change completely.

I used to know my mother. I used to think that she could do no wrong. I know better. I know that she goes out every night with different men to get drinks. I know that she hates Lilith because she's reminded of our father. I know that her liver is failing with all the drinks she has. I know she's barely clinging to life. I know that she's stopped caring about me and Lilith.

Those are the bad things I know.

But I know some good things too. I know that Lilith is quiet, quieter than a baby should be according to Mrs. Rogers. I know that she only ever cries if she's genuinely hurt and that her smile is one of the only things that can brighten up my day. I know that, if I'm in a bad mood then Lilith will be there pushing my face into a smile, literally. I know that when Lilith is babbling she's trying hard to make a coherent sentence. I know that Steve will always be there with me when I need help with Lilith.

Steve is the only other person that can make me feel happy these days.

Lilith and Steve. My sister and my metaphorical brother.

I've been holding down a job and caring for my sister. Cooking, cleaning, rocking, working and staying sane. I don't know how women do this and say they're completely fine. Either way, I'm tearing myself apart trying to do this. Thankfully I've managed to have enough common sense to save as much money as possible since my mother started to leave money on the counter in an envelope. It's enough to get by, if you live off of water. I'm cooking right now, waiting and listening for when my mother gets home. Steve's putting Lilith to bed now, she already had dinner.

I hear the creaking of the stairs as Steve walks down, looking content.

"She's asleep?"

"Yeah. You know, for a baby, she doesn't scream for attention like most of them do. It's kinda lucky."

"Yeah I guess, hey, help me with the pasta will you? I still can't figure out how I burn it."

"Barnes talent, I guess."

"Shut up, man."

"Hey... uh, I know this isn't a comfortable topic but... where's you're mom? Doesn't she have liver and lung problems or something?"

"Uh, yeah, she doesn't really stay in the house anymore. Usually out for drinks and it's not like I can stop her, I have Lilith to focus on."

"That sucks man. Your mom was so nice! What happened?"

"Lilith was born. She looks too much like my dad, and my mom hates him. So, she hates Lilith."

"Hates Lilith? How? She's the sweetest thing ever."

"I don't know, man. Anyways, you want to stay over? It's late and it looks like you haven't eaten in a while."

"Yeah I'll stay, thanks."

After dinner, I set up the guest mat for Steve in my room where Lilith and I slept. I don't trust that drunk of a woman enough to keep Lilith around her.

...~~~...

I wake up to the sound of bottles crashing and Steve restricting my ability to breathe.

When I finally manage to wriggle out of Steve's grasp without waking him only to hear the door slam shut, which wakes both Steve and Lilith.

"Was that your mom?"

"Yeah I think so.. I'll go check, you stay here with Lilith."

"Okay."

As I walk down the stairs, I get an uneasy feeling. I jump the last three and run to the kitchen to see if my mother is there.

She's not.

But a note is on the counter. As I read it, I went through a train of emotions. Starting with disbelief, relief, anger, devastation and nothing. At the end, I felt nothing, as though I was expecting something like this to happen.

"Hey, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just- I found this note and... I don't really know what I was expecting. I guess that, she's not around anymore so it doesn't really change my life in the slightest for the moment."

"I- this is such bad parenting. Leaving your children alone? Yeah, no, this is abandonment."

The note says:

You are not my children anymore, you whore products. I am not your mother. I will send you money for the next year, but after that, you will fend for yourself. The house is already bought off so live in it or something, I don't care. I'm leaving this hell hole. Goodbye.