two.

A few days later, he's in the back of the black van and his eyes are glued on his shattered phone. His earphones are glued in and he's blasting the audio. It's not an unnatural thing to see. The only thing that's surprising to everybody is the thing on his phone screen. His brown eyes are fixated on the screen and he's studying Eleanor's mannerisms. As dramatic as the managers had made it seem, the contracts weren't taking place until later this week and to be frank, he had to know every little knack that she might or might not have.

His eyebrows are furrowed and he's watched way too many videos. It was currently midday and the party were on their way to the studio. It was only midday and Michael had already watched so many videos. He had watched solo interviews and Michael was currently watching how she'd constantly glanced to the side. By the third one, he simply turned it off. He hadn't watched many of them but it was obvious that she didn't want to do any of it. It wasn't a matter of attitude, it wasn't a matter of being an overall asshole to the camera crew either. She just hated being infront of the camera by herself. Point blank.

Dustin had told him to stop overanalyzing things, how she was simply being a brat for both the cameras and the contract was something she was forced into. And for once, maybe he was right. But Michael knew he wasn't. Her monotone voice, her somewhat dead brown eyes and dazzling smile couldn't trick him. It didn't compare to when Eleanor was with the other girls, how she was loud and would constantly laugh with them. Her laugh was extremely loud and her eyes would squeeze shut. A light in them even.

Eleanor Jane had been in the spotlight since she was fourteen. She had auditioned for a role on Broadway and got it without much of a problem. She was beyond talented for her age. Mike could see why she got it instantly. After weeks and weeks of performing the same play, the girl had signed off to a big-shot company and disappeared from the public eye.

It was only for a bit because once she turned seventeen, she was back on stage with five brand new girls and they were a cute group making a name for themselves.

Michael tried to learn their names. He truly did. But if he was being honest, none of them caught his eye like she did. He wanted to be romantic like the songs that he wrote but it wasn't because of anything like that. Since the beginning, she had the nicest outfits, the electric colored hair most of the time and way too much screen time in their videos. He'd expect the other girls to be mad or hold a face while Eleanor was infront but it seemed like the opposite.

They were relieved she was there.

"Are you still watching that?" Lucas asks and unlike Dustin's earlier comments, his words hold curiosity. He was probably as curious as the lead singer when it came to this strange girl. Who was she? Why was a pop singer fake dating him? Why was she pushed to the front when the other girls were right there? Why was Brenner so pushy when it came to her? (The last one burned more than the rest if he was frank.)

"Yeah." He says, pulling the earbud out of his ear and giving him all his attention. He had so many theories. Theories that didn't involve the damn illuminati like Dustin had speculated. Horribly speculated.

"Any conclusions?" Lucas would actually listen to his thoughts.

"None. All I'm seeing is a kid that started singing on Broadway and now is tangled in a weird contract with Brenner. Not only that but it's like... her company is setting her up. She always has the best outfits. She always has the most camera time. She's always in the middle of group photos and it's like they're pushing this title onto her. She even hates being alone on stage. It makes no fucking sense to me. The girls don't even get mad at this. It's like they understand whatever is going on."

Lucas blinks once.

Then he blinks twice.

"Move Dustin over. You need to show me whatever you're watching." He's entirely serious about it too. Lucas manages to shove Dustin to the side, who grumbles in annoyance and soon, he's sucked in the videos as well. Mike's pointing out things and Lucas nods. His friend even goes to point that only Eleanor has had scandals out of the six girls. How she's the only one that goes by her actual full name. They're both stuck in this conspiracy and it's their managers who catch onto the mumbling.

"Mike, what are you doing?" Robin asks genuinely and the two of them look up like kids caught by their parents in the middle of the night. Eddie sighs. He's not annoyed since he was somewhat intrigued as well but if Mike wasn't careful, he'd meddle into some sticky territory.

"Listen, Michael." He says and all of them are suddenly awake. He looked the role but Robin was somewhat the sternest between the two of them. "I don't know if you read your contract thoroughly but I sure as hell did. There's a huge chunk where it says to mind your business." The lead singer wants to complain but Eddie is not done. "I wish it was me telling you to cut it out but it's not. I've managed some groups before you guys and no way in hell were we pushing out one of you more than the others. So to say that Eleanor has some sticky business with Brenner is an understatement. Do not get tangled there." He's emphasizing. "She isn't one of your little board games from home. She isn't a toy. She's a girl with a company that's truly setting her up. You know how Max broke Dustin's amplifier?"

"Wait what?"

"Who did we blame?" He questions and Max's the one who answers. She sounds terrified of her own answer.

"We said it was you."

"Why?"

"Because I would've gotten in trouble." Max says and Eddie clicks his tongue. Glad that they're catching up.

"There's no doubt that she's that group scapegoat." And he's enabling Mike's thoughts. All of theirs.

"Eddie, stop." Robin says and that's how they know the conversation is finally over. She has a face of sternness and it's obvious that what they were talking about touched a nerve. She looked angry but they couldn't pin-point with what. "No more talking about her please. One wrong move and you guys can kiss that world tour goodbye."

Silence.

"Are we clear?"

"We're clear." They mutually agree but there's a strong taste of bitterness on every single one of their tongues. Robin and Eddie's included.

"Good. Now, we're here."