adapting

moving to Hawkins was the absolute worse thing ever for Astrid, she had no friends here, she had to get a new job and school, and the worst of all, she had to stay at the wheelers's house for most of the time as her parents were always at work.

"you know, my friend, he's throwing a party tonight, and I was wondering if you wanted to go?" Nancy, enquired, Leaning on the doorframe outside my room.

"uhh, thanks but no thanks. I don't know any of your friends there anyways."  I replied, still lying on my bed.

Nancy was the one of the only people i chatted with often when I moved to Hawkins, the only time I ever talked to the others is when they ask me a question, or call me down when the food's ready.

"I'll introduce you to my friends, come on,"
"alright, I'll come along.." I gave in.
"great, my friend's picking us up at 7."

I decided to tag along and go to the party because there wasn't anything to do at the house anyways.

                                          *

In the evening, we got ready and Nancy's friend came to bring us to the party.

but just as I was getting in the car, I realised who he was, Steve harrington, my co-worker at ahoy scoops that I absolutely despised, I mean, he didn't really do anything, he's just really annoying, he doesn't do his job well, and always flirts with the women that come to order ice cream. He's also friends with like 100 kids? What's that about?! oh well. maybe I just hate everyone. welp, let's just hope he doesn't realise it's me.

"ugh.." I groaned quietly
"Astrid, what's wrong?" Nancy asked.
I tried to cover my face in hopes that he wouldn't realise it was me.

butttttt, he did.
"oh hey, Astrid, I'm Steve, your co worker! You remember me, right?"

"mhmm..." i nodded my head slowly.

"wait, you 2 know eachother? that's great, I don't have to introduce you guys then!"

oh my gosh.

and for the rest of the ride, I just didn't say anything unless they asked me questions or made small talk with me.

"anddd... we're here." He said as he pulled into the driveway.
"ladies first." harrington added while putting his hand out. I forced a smile at the kind gesture.
I had to admit, his house was really big.

Nancy introduced me to some of her friends, Tommy, Carol, Jonathan, and Barbra. Honestly.. I didn't really like any of them except for Jonathan, I didn't have an opinion on him since he didn't really say anything.

               after an hour, I got bored.

gosh, I should've stayed home, it was so boring,
"Hey nance, is it alright if I head home first?"
"yeah sure, how are you gonna go home though? our house is quite far away from here." Nancy asked.
hearing our conversation, harrington decided to be the hero and offered me a ride home.
"ehh.. it's alright I think I can walk."
"but it's really dark and your house is like an hour away, let me give you a ride." he offered, yet again.
I thought about it for a moment, I didn't wanna walk home anyways, so, I accepted the ride.

on the ride home, we made small talk about the things we had in common ; our music taste, our love for horror flims, etc...

before dropping me off, he complimented me saying "you look stunning by the way." I smiled and replied with "you don't look too bad yourself"
and walked off after waving goodbye.

I watched as his car drove off and I could feel myself getting hot, he wasn't as bad as I thought he was. kinda cute too, wait, am I falling for him? no, that's not possible.

I tried to stop thinking of him, but I couldn't think of anything else except his compliment, weird. I changed from trying to ignore him as much as possible to only thinking of him in a night? not possible. I'll forget about him in the morning for sure.

I tried to shake the thought of him off, took a shower, and went to bed.