Broken Records

I kicked my feet up on the recliner and began reading a book I found on the shelf. After a while, I dosed off.

*CRASH*
  I jumped up from a dead sleep. Shaking, I stood up to slide into the kitchen and grabbed the broom from the pantry, like it's gonna help if someone came to kill me. "Hello?" I yelled. I heard floorboards creaking above me. Slowly going up the stairs, every room was checked. "Maybe something just fell." I scratched my head as another noise came from the last room. "Brahm's room." I mumbled. The sunlight was shining through the old windows as it lit up the halls. I slipped my hand into my pocket to grab the key. "Here goes nothing." I said as I slipped the key into the lock.

*CLICK*
The door creaked open. Inside was a bed with toys, like a normal old-styled kids room. I ran my fingers across the shelves and chuckled. "This is just a normal room." I spun around as a porcelain doll sat on the edge of the bed. "You scared me!" I tapped at on the face. "What happened to you? You're kind of creeping me out." I huffed as I glanced beside him. "Rules?" I picked it up and began reading:

1.No Guests
2.Never Leave Brahms Alone
3.Save Meals in Freezer
4.Never Cover Brahms Face
5.Read a Bedtime Story
6.Play Music Loud
7.Clean the Traps
8.Only Malcolm Brings Deliveries
9.Brahms is Never to Leave
10.Kiss Goodnight

  My heart dropped at the sight of number six. "That's funny.. Mr. Grubbs said something about music. Maybe it's just a coincidence." Slowly, I laid the paper back beside him and ran to my room just to slam the door. I quickly grabbed the phone to call Ethan.

"Hello?"
"ETHAN! I found a key and unlocked the room! There's a doll and it has rules sitting beside it!"

"The rules.. don't freak out, I'm coming over okay?"

He hung up. Moments later, it rang again.

"Ethan?"
"Cassie?" A child-like voice said.
"WHO IS THIS?" I yelled.
"Why won't you follow the rules?"
I threw the phone as the doorbell rang. I ran downstairs.
"ETHAN!" I hugged him.

"The phone, it asked why I wouldn't follow the rules." I said as I clasped my cup of tea. "Brahms. He supposedly possessed the doll. It was said to have been destroyed after the last nanny of Brahms found a man in the walls which claimed to be the real Brahms. He played the part well, but they killed him. His body vanished. That's why the place was searched so well." He sighed. "That doesn't make sense, now is the doll here? What if it's a lost evil spirit? I need to talk to that nanny." I said. "They stayed anonymous. Her and the grocery boy both. Just in case something were to happen. I'm sure someone just set that up to scare you." I twirled my thumbs and nodded. "Malcolm, right?" I mumbled. Ethan spun around. "How do you know about Malcolm?" I looked up. "Rule number eight says only Malcolm brings deliveries." He clinched his teeth. "That's enough of story time it's just some dumb rules the family made up for their spoiled little boy." He began walking away and slammed the door as the kitchen lights flickered.

  Later that night, I opened the book I was reading back up. After getting halfway through, a picture fell out of it:

 After getting halfway through, a picture fell out of it:

  "That must be his parents." I whispered. I ran my fingers across the photo.

I sat on my bed and glared at the picture. I heard a knock on my door as I grabbed my comforter. "Cassie? Are you in there?" A petite voice said. I heard something slide across the floor. "GO AWAY!" I cried as I shook, frozen in fear. I tried to call but the phone had a busy-sounding signal. It instantly rung back. "Hello? Help me!" I cried aloud. "I made your favorite Cassie." I slowly put the phone down and crept to the door. Slowly opening it, there was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the floor. I placed my hand on my forehead in disbelief. The phone was laying on the bed as I ran back to it. "Brahms?"
  I stood in front of his room and went into it. The doll was beside the rules, as he was left. "Is this what you want?" I whispered. "Okay." I picked him up and took him downstairs to fix him a meal.
  We then played his music through the record player, as I checked on some makeshift wooden traps that were scattered outside. Finally, we made it to bed time. "Goodnight Brahms." I pulled the cover over him and began to walk out as the lights flickered. "Oh right, kiss." I kissed his cold cheek. "You did good today. Go right to sleep." I shut his door and sat on my bed. I really took care of a doll today. What if he's not real and I just did all of that. I got up to flick the lights off as I saw something out of the corner of my eye. My shoes were beside my door. A smile escaped my lips. Or what if he is?