Introduction

Alaska has always been at the top of my bucket list. My husband and I considered an Alaskan Cruise for our honeymoon, but the timing, financing, and life circumstances didn't quite gel and the plan was scrapped. We went to Maine instead. It was quaint and relaxing, as you'd expect, but it felt a lot like home at the time (Massachusetts). And, well, it wasn't Alaska and my disappointment never quite dissipated.

I'm not a fan of the cold (although I'm used to wearing sweaters and flannel most of the year) and I wouldn't call myself the adventurous type. I am, however, drawn to mountains, wildlife, oceans and waterways, and heck, I'd like to see an actual glacier someday . . . while I still can.

I never thought it would actually happen, though. I'm not one to pull the trigger on something like this.

Then, late one night among friends (and I'm guessing alcohol was involved), a two-family Alaskan vacation seemed like the best idea ever. We kept "one-upping" the cruise option. By the time we were done, we committed ourselves to a two-week RV trip.

We don't own RVs and have little to no experience, but Alaska is supposedly "the place" to rent them. We'd figure it all out on some of the most scenic (and challenging) roadways in the world.

On paper, we're well prepared, and the itinerary is full. We are leaving nothing to chance (or very little). As long as the Alaskan wilderness cooperates, we should be good to go!

 As long as the Alaskan wilderness cooperates, we should be good to go!