ONE

the prestons seemed like your average hawkins family

the prestons seemed like your average hawkins family. they lived on the corner of maple street, and followed the same routine day after day. the mom left for work early in the morning, and her three kids — andrew, holly, and jason — followed an hour later to head to school.

aside from the usual family drama, they always seemed normal. andrew played on the hawkins basketball team and his popularity ranked up with steve harrington. jason preferred to play dungeons and dragons with his friends in their basement, a game which andrew and holly found no interest in whatsoever.

holly found her comfort in nature. she loved to sit outside or go exploring the nearby forest. sometimes she would just go into the forest to sit, taking time away from her brothers. she found it peaceful for the only noises were leaves blowing in the wind or an animal rustling around versus the loud music and tv that came with living with two teenage boys.

holly's day started out normal. their mom left for work, and that prompted the three teenagers to finally wake up. holly managed to stake claim of the bathroom first, setting about the task of brushing what felt like miles of her hair. it didn't take long for the banging on the bathroom door to start as her brothers got impatient.

after abandoning the bathroom she finally went to get dressed and throw everything she needed in her schoolbag. like usual, she was the first one downstairs, meaning her brothers were still a good ten or fifteen minutes behind.

she relaxed on the couch for a bit, turning to an episode of miami vice that she had already seen. she about jumped whenever drew finally came down the stairs, almost tripping in the process.

"shit!" the boy exclaimed and he regained his footing. "hey, do you have my car keys?"

"check in the kitchen," she answered back, keeping her eyes on the tv.

drew wandered off to find his keys, having lost them for the millionth time that week. after rummaging through some drawers he finally emerged from the kitchen, car keys in hand. "alright, i'm leaving," he announced, heading towards the door.

"you're leaving early? to get to school?" holly asked, shocked. she couldn't even remember the last time he was ever remotely on time for class.

"i want to get a head start on my work," he shrugged.

"sounds like you just want to stare at bonnie anderson for twenty minutes," holly laughed, looking back at her brother. "just ask her out already dude."

"it's not that easy, okay? she's had a crush on steve since, like, seventh grade. i stand no chance," he scoffed.

"you never know if you don't try," she teased, and drew rolled his eyes as he went out to his car.

holly finally shut off the tv, still waiting for her little brother to come down the stairs. "jay!" she shouted from the bottom of the staircase. "come on, we gotta go!"