FIVE

as holly turned the corner to maple street and saw her house coming into view, she wasn't surprised to see that drew's car wasn't there at all and her mom's car was still in the driveway

as holly turned the corner to maple street and saw her house coming into view, she wasn't surprised to see that drew's car wasn't there at all and her mom's car was still in the driveway. what she was surprised about was the navy blue camaro that was parked in the middle of the lawn with it's owner leaned against the door, flicking the ashes of his cigarette into the grass.

she quickly pulled her car into the driveway, putting the car into park before getting out, not bothering to shut the car off. "what are you doing? if my mom sees you out here she'll kill me!" she asked, walking to the boy who's only reaction was exhaling a puff of smoke.

"i can't come by and make sure you're okay?" billy asked, not moving from his spot. "has he tried
to come back?"

"apparently this morning," she brushed off. "but, i'm perfectly capable of protecting myself in case of trying something."

"and how is that?" he asked, his tone almost sarcastic.

"i keep a baseball bat in my car," she shrugged, somewhat realized a baseball bat wasn't that threatening. "plus, we have a gun we keep in the house, so i'm not helpless."

"damn sweetheart, i didn't know you knew how to use stuff like that," he smirked, looking somewhat impressed. "but, thats not really why i'm here. i wanted to see if you wanted to catch a movie or something this week."

"let me guess, sabrina put you up to it?" she asked, and he nodded. he definitely looked uncomfortable, like asking a girl on a date wasn't his usual thing for they always flocked to him like moths to a flame. "okay, i'll go. monday sound okay?"

"sounds perfect, sweetheart. i'll see you then," his confident demeanor returned instantly. "and maybe afterward we can have some other types of fun." she knew exactly what he meant by that as his eyes grazed over her body, almost like she was the prey and he was the predator.

she didn't say anything as he drove away, and she could only mentally kick herself as she was just talking about how she didn't want to date. she also knew drew would be pissed, but at the same time she knew that she should be allowed to date whoever she wants.

when she got inside, she was surprised to see her mom on the couch, drinking a glass of wine next to a man. the older woman turned around in shock at the sound of the door and the mans eyes followed, both of them staring at holly.

"oh, holly!" carolyn cleared her throat. "henry, this is my daughter, holly, and holly, this is henry. we met at the bank," she introduced and holly waved, but she couldn't find it in her to say anything.

"i'll be upstairs," she stated, and with that she ran upstairs.

she slammed her door shut, and just sat on her bed. it wasn't unlike her mom to bring different men home, but it didn't change how much it hurt holly to watch her mom keep trying to replace her father.