02 | the meet

chapter two    :    the meetseason one    ,     episode one

season one , episode one

IT WAS THE next day when the Lee family - minus Paulo - hit the road. Katie was in the driver's seat, Genevieve next to her in the passenger, and Violet in the backseat. The latter girl didn't mind not riding shotgun as she wanted extra space to herself to read, daydream, and not talk.

Katie and Genevieve however wanted to talk the whole way there. So the mother told countless stories about when she was younger, times that happened when her, Susannah, and Laurel were in college.

The topic then moved on to when the kids were born and what they did back when they were toddlers. Gen obviously didn't remember what happened when she was two or three, so it was both funny and interesting to hear about what she was like at that age and how she interacted with her best friends.

Apparently Jeremiah Fisher's first impression didn't go well and Gen hated him at first.

He had seen her favorite stuffed animal, which was a cow, and immediately wanted to play with it. Instead of asking - Gen would've said no either way - he plucked the fluffy cow from her hands and ran off with it.

Genevieve chased after him at a surprising speed for how young she was and trapped him in a literal corner.

"And then you threw your half melted cookie at his face," Katie laughed, her daughter joining in with her.

"Did I really?"

Katie hummed and nodded, "And I couldn't tell you not to throw your food at people because I was laughing so hard."

Gen chuckled at that before tipping her head to the side, "Why haven't you or anyone else told me this before?" It seemed like a pretty big moment between the best friends to just brush off and not relive.

But then again, she could be over analyzing it. As she did with most things concerned with Jeremiah.

Katie shrugged, "I guess once I thought we all told you, so we didn't bother." She bit the inside of her cheek, "Or I was about to tell you and got distracted with who knows what."

Genevieve nodded. That tended to happen a lot with her mom. She'd be prepared to say one thing and then a millisecond later, she'd think of something else or see something else and completely forget what she was about to say.

Katie opened her mouth, but closed it once her youngest daughter's voice took over. "It looks the exact same," she breathed out.

The car rolled up the short road to the baby blue house, a minivan and a red jeep already in the driveway. The Fishers and Conklins stood in front of the house, catching up with one another. But they stopped their conversation once they heard the sounds of tires against the asphalt.

Gen smiled, immediately unbuckling her seatbelt and opening the car door to run out. Violet and Katie weren't too far behind her.

"Laurel!" she shouted, wrapping her arms around the woman.

She smiled, squeezing her tightly, "Hey Gen."

The sound of Susannah broke them apart, "Hello my beautiful girls." She stuck both arms out, Genevieve and Violet taking the cue to tuck themselves under.

"We've missed you guys," Violet sighed in contentment.

"We've missed you too," Susannah replied, giving them one final second of a hug before they went off to see the others. 

Which in Gen's case, was Conrad. "You got glasses," he noted after they pulled apart from their hug.

She nodded, "And contacts. I just didn't feel like wearing them on the trip up."

Steven nudged her, "Look at you getting old and losing your vision already." This earned him a punch in the shoulder that quickly turned into yet another hug.

"Shut up." She closed her eyes as her sharp words contradicted her soft actions.

She opened her eyes, blinking when she saw a girl with a grin standing in front of her. She pushed Steven gently away, "Belly? Belly Conklin? Is that really you?"

She eyed the girl up and down, seeing she had lost her braces and glasses. She also had her hair down and overall looked more mature than she did last summer.

"Yes ma'am," Belly nodded once, enveloping her into an embrace.

The two swayed a bit until Gen moved back, holding her hand. "Damn girl. You looked good before but wow." She twirled her around, making them both laugh.

"Hey, where's my hug?"

Genevieve turned around, seeing the very familiar face of Jeremiah Fisher a few yards ahead. She beamed, "I'm just saving the best for last."

Steven scoffed at this, but she was too busy jogging over and leaping into her best friend's arms to hear. She held him the same as he tightly held her while they spun around in a few happy circles.

They stopped, Genevieve's feet dangling above the ground since they still didn't want to let each other go.

"God, I've missed you so much, Evie," he mumbled. He buried his face into the crook of her neck.

They were soon interrupted by Steven, "Okay, okay, break it up." He pried them apart. "I don't know about you, but I think-" he checks his pretend watch and that's when it hits both Genevieve and Jeremiah.

The latter of two joined in with Steven, shouting, "It's time for a Belly Flop!"

Belly darts away, making a run for it. But Conrad's too quick for her and grabs her. She screams as Steven and Jeremiah grab her limbs and drag her to the pool.

As great as it was seeing Belly dunked into the pool, Genevieve and Violet knew they were going to be next if they weren't careful.

 "Shall we get our suitcases?" Violet asked.

"Yeah, let's definitely do that," her sister nodded aggressively. She turned around and charged toward the car with Violet right by her side.

---

i kinda forgot how hard it was to end a chapter-
welp anywho
drink water if you haven't already & stay hydrated <3