Breaktime

More often than not, the foundry is quiet at nights. The only real lighting is that of the molten metal that still runs on the automated systems, which so long as I stayed away from the newer parts of the foundry, very few things had problems with me. All the free time I had and some time I really shouldn't have, was dedicated to the book of ancient lore or fairy tales as normal people would call it.

Joey caught me reading on my lunch break again, so he decided to strike up a conversation about the game that didn't exist.  "So...." he started out, pulling a chair around, facing me. "What kind of character do you play? Fairy? Goblin? Elf?" he snickered while saying it all.

"Jeeze Joe... Told you, I'm the DM. I run whatever characters I have too. Usually we just call them NPCs however." I explained, my knowledge in the field of the nerd was not great, but it should be enough to bluff my way out of this.

"Well, who all are your players than?" Joe asked, looking to see if he could get a seat at the round table apparently. This conversation was turning into a real bad slope for me, and in a hurry.

"Uh... Teddy, Bobby, Flick, and Cassidy." I said, figuring Joey wouldn't know anyone by these names, but if he did, I just had to steer him away so he didn't get too intrigued. Too bad that doesn't work quite like one would like normally.

Joey looked at me hard, as if trying to tell if I was lying or not. "You know... being a street cop for a few years really paid off..." he started out, getting up. "It gives you a whole new way to see signs of people trying to give you the slip. But the game sounds like fun, when is it, Thursday night? Can I sit in on a batch?" He asked suddenly. I was screwed, this lie just got real complex, real fast.

"Uh... I'd have to swing it by the other players, we don't normally have observers, and that might cause them to play a little differently than normal. Let me get back you on that Joe." I said while nodding. It sounded like a good infalible logic. "Should get back to patrol routes though Joe. So onwards, to the land of molten steel and sparks!" I announced, heading for the door, leaving my book behind on the table.

Heading back out onto the factory floor, I walked my typical route. Joey and I had a good agreement, he takes the newer tech covered area and I get the older and longer route through the refinery. The metal catwalks and stairs rang as my boots tromped along, echoing through the large building, off the convoyer belts and enormous crucibles.

----------------

Well, this is interesting. After a very long break and a lapse of memory, was reminded about this site and picked it back up today. Guess I'll have to start writing again.