Part 3: Rescue with the Robin and the Tabby

(Tw for mentions of death)

(Also, slight spoiler: Ooh, a new character!!!)

Raven sat there in defeat. What was he going to do now? He felt the pain of seeing a loved one die, and for all he knows, Puddles could have already been killed by that thief commonly known as a human. He couldn't bear to think what was happening to that cute little kitten at this point. He knew humans were unpredictable and could either be sweet caretakers or mass-murderous creatures. And from what he saw from that human, she seemed to be more on the bad side. 

But, he also knew that nothing but misery and negativity would get him nowhere. So, he stood up proud and yelled "I will save little Puddles no matter what it takes!" and he took off. His wing flapped, breaking the air, kind of, ok, I'm not a professional in science so don't expect me to know the correct term. Ahem! Anyways, the wise Robin glided through the sky, passing by buildings, trees, and streets. Very limited plant life though, Raven was very disappointed in that. He kept flying, until he realised he had no idea where he should be going. He no longer knew where Puddles was. He landed on to the ground, trying to solve this problem. He somehow had to figure out where the human had taken the kitten without any knowledge of where they went. He officially thought all hope was lost when suddenly...

"Where is she? Where's Puddles?" asked a small, high-pitched voice from not far away. "Puddles! Pudding!? Where are you?" the voice suddenly shouted. Raven was perched on a bench when the voice said this, and he looked around, trying to figure out where it was coming from. "Pudding? WHERE ARE YOU!?" the voice screamed louder. Raven finally noticed it was coming from a small kitten wandering around in the grass. It was a little tabby.

(Quick A/N: Yes, Ally, this new character is based on Kosher, other than the fact that they aren't quite siblings in the book :3)

Raven flew over to the small, wandering tabby. The tabby stood still, terrified at the sight of the small bird. "Wow, you're just as much of a scaredy-kitten as Puddles, aren't you?" Raven asked, looking at the frozen little tabby in the eyes. The tabby then froze with another expression on their face, a surprised one. 

"You know Puddles Kittly? A small calico tabby?" asked the tabby. "Wait, did you eat her?" it continued. Raven laughed.

"Me? No, I wouldn't eat a little innocent kitten. But, I do know Puddles, but not her last name to be quite honest." Raven said, smirking a bit. The tabby almost completely calmed down.

"...Could you help me find her?" the kitten asked.

"Of course, that's what I'm currently doing." said Raven. The tabby ran up to the robin. 

"Great! I'm Shell! Puddles' cousin, but we think of each other as sisters." said the tabby, smiling excitedly. She ran ahead, ready to help Puddles from whatever she had disappeared from. Raven flew up and chased after Shell. 

About an hour passed, and Shell began to feel tired. "You can take a quick break, I guess." said Raven, and the little Tabby laid down on the ground, smiling at Raven.

"I guess I forgot to ask you about your name." said Shell, sure sounding like she was tired.

"Oh, my name is Raven. Now, one thing I'm curious about, why do you consider Puddles your sister?" Raven asked.

"Oh... it's a long story, but I'll try to keep it short." the tabby said. Raven nodded his head to show he was listening. "So, you see... Puddles has a mother, obviously, who had three sisters. Puddles' mother had three kittens, one of them being her. Mine, which was the oldest sibling of the three, had 4, and so did the other sibling, who was the youngest. One day, the youngest sibling was out hunting for food, but she ran into a fox. The fox began to attack her and she called for help. My mother came to help fight while Puddles' mother rescued all of the kittens. And, the oldest and youngest siblings weren't seen again. So we considered Puddles' mother as ours." explained Shell, sounding more upset every sentence to the point where she was probably gonna whimper like a dog. Raven felt bad about asking what happened now. But he also empathized for the poor little kitten. 

"You're not alone... my mother died back when I was just old enough to fly on my own. I still needed a bit of help from her, but... it is what it is." said Raven, remembering the horrible day in the city, other than today. They both sighed together.

"But, enough negative and sad talk!" exclaimed Shell. "We may have lost some loved ones but we're not going to lose Puddles!" she continued, standing up and ready to run. And there she went, zooming around. Raven quickly got up and flew over to her again. They ran through the city together, until...

"I FOUND HER!!! I FOUND HER!!!" Puddles exclaimed, looking through a bush. There was that human again, and Puddles on her head, just playing in a yard.

"Oh my goodness, she's alive! Or a hat." said Raven. Shell laughed out loud at that statement. She found it quite funny that Puddles was on top of the human's head. They went through the large bush. Puddles was put down on the ground to run around, and that's when she saw Shell. Then Raven. She ran up to them. 

"Shell! Raven! So great to see you again!" she exclaimed, play-fighting with Shell and then smiling at Raven. 

"No, not that bird again!" exclaimed the human, Lemon.

"Come on, I'll take you over the bushes so you don't have to be with that thing." said Raven, flapping his wings and ready to pick up the two kittens. He tried, but they were too heavy, and then Lemon stole Puddles again. Raven knew the human wouldn't understand him and the kitten were friends, unless Puddles proves it to the human. "Puddles! Squirm around showing you want to be with me!" he exclaimed, moving forward a bit. "Shell, exit the bush, we'll meet you out there." he continued, motioning his wing backwards towards the bushes. Shell obeyed. And so did Puddles. She squirmed enough that she was freed from the human's arms. She ran up to Raven, who just looked at Puddles. She gave him affection, and even started purring. That's when the human realized they weren't trying to hurt each other.

"Oh, sorry kitty, did I take you away from your friend?" asked Lemon, realising she may have made a horrible mistake. "I'm so sorry..." she continued, petting the kitten once and walking away. She entered through a door where Raven thought she was entering a "house" as they call it. Raven took Puddles in his talons and flew across the bush where Shell sat there, waiting patiently and nervously. 

"You're okay!" exclaimed Shell, hugging Puddles. "Now, it's time to go home! Right?" Shell continued. Puddles stopped and didn't answer. She looked at Shell, then at Raven, and back at Shell. "...Right?" Shell repeated. Puddles still didn't answer. 

"I... I might not want to go home..." Puddles said, turning back around to look at Raven.

"B- but you have to! We need you!" Shell exclaimed, beginning to whimper. 

"I'll think about it..." said Puddles, turning away.