tyler - hate your guts

🦋 - gn!reader (requester unspecified so ill go w this, hope its okay <33)
🥏 - tyler seems to feel something other than hate for his long time rival, y/n. (i'm giving tyler a bit of a growth spurt so you're around his chest height, teenage boys amirite?)
📬 - requested by softieeeeeeeqwq

☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ -

"i can't believe it! we're officially highschoolers now!"

tyler's friend, mei, exclaimed, taking in the sight of their new highschool. tyler and the others looked at the building as well, albeit not with as much excitement.

"i dunno why you're so excited, mei." tyler said, "it doesn't seem all that special to me.."

mei gasped, her red hair somehow standing up on its ends, "what do you MEAN, tyler!? we're in grade nine now, we're basically adults!"

"you said that last year and i don't think you were very adultlike."

mei gasped again, going to lunge at tyler before miriam stepped in.

"alright guys, why don't we just go in? we still have to go to orientation." she said, sending stern looks to both of them.

"okay.."

"yeah, whatever..."

the group then started to walk towards the doors, tyler walking a bit ahead of them. he didn't want to admit it but part of him was actually excited for highschool. he felt something hit his chest, followed by a small 'oof!'.

"oh crap, are you okay?" tyler aksed, realizing that someone ran straight into his chest and fell onto the floor. he stretched out a hand to help them up, only to retract it when he saw familiar (e/c) eyes and the unmistakable face.

"wha- y/n!?" he screeched, pure shock and disbelief painted on his features.

you rubbed your head and looked up at tyler, the same expression melting onto your face when you saw him.

"TYLER!?"

"what- why- what are you doing here!?" tyler stammered.

getting up from the ground, you rolled your eyes, "isn't obvious genius? i go to school here."

"i thought you moved."

"i did. i was hoping i wouldn't see you again but i guess i didn't move far away enough."

tyler scoffed, "like you would actually want to be away from me."

huffing, you gripped the strap of their backpack, "i do, actually."

"even when you used to like me in grade four?"

"that's a sack of lies, the idea of me liking you was never more than a rumour."

before you two could bicker any further, mei cut in, "wait, who's this? and why are you two arguing?"

"ARE YOU TWO EXES?" abby added making you and tyler flush a dark red, the two of you sputtering out denials and defenses.

"y/n is not my ex!" tyler said, "and neither am i theirs! come on, let's go. i don't wanna be seen around them. "

with that, tyler ushered his friends towards the school, throwing you a quick glance before walking into the school.

at orientation, tyler couldn't help but think about how much you had changed. he always thought you were pretty, not like he'd admit it but never has he been enraptured by you this much. your hair looked softer than it already was, your eyes had a distinct twinkle in them that he couldn't explain and he couldn't seem to get your voice out of his head.

'no! stop- i can't be thinking of y/n like this.' he reprimanded himself, trying to focus on the orientation instead of you.

soon enough the bell rang, indicating that it was time for first period. walking into the door of his first class, art, tyler's face immediately fell when he saw you sitting in the classroom. looking around for any seats he could take, you can imagine his absolute delight when he noticed that the only seat available was the one next to good ol' y/n.

begrudgingly, he slumped his way
towards your table, catching your attention. seeing tyler walk towards you, you plastered a smug grin on your face and waved teasingly at him.

"hey tye~ i thought you didn't wanna be seen around me?" you cooed, "what changed?"

flushing red at your nickname, he glared at you, "nothing. it's just that i have no choice but to sit next to you."

"hmm, are you sure it's not because you want to sit near me?"

"i am positive."

you went to say another teasing remark but noticed that tyler looked like a tomato and decided to let it go. sending him one last smug smile, you turned towards the front of the classroom.

"good day students!" your art teacher greeted, a cheery smile on her face, "i'm miss oaks and i'll be your teacher for this year. now, as a form of icebreaker i want each one of you to introduce yourselves to your seatmate and ask each other questions."

you and tyler groaned audibly making miss oaks turn to both of you.

"is there something wrong?"

"yeah, there is. what if i don't want to talk to my seatmate?" tyler said, crossing his arms.

your teacher looked confused, "and why wouldn't you want to do that?"

"because they," he pointed to you, "are the literal worst. believe me, ive known them since elementary school."

"well, that's even more reason to do this activity! talking to each other may relieve some tension between the two of you! now get started." miss oaks said with finality and sat down in her chair.

rolling your eyes you turned to tyler, "might as well get this over with..."

you smiled at him brightly with the same energy as a stranger who's never met him before and outstretched a hand, "hi! i'm y/n, it's so nice to meet you!"

tyler looked confused, your sweet smile making him turn red. he looked between your hand and his, 'should i play along or not?' he asked himself. looking back at your smiling face, he felt compelled to go along with your wishes. after all, he couldn't bring himself to say no to that smile. so with a shaky smile, he took your hand and shook it.

"hey, i'm tyler. it's nice to meet you too."

☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ - ☁︎ -
i had to cut it into two parts cuz its too long, hope you don't mind!