Part 7

Ah, perhaps Alberu should have delayed the return to camp just a bit longer. At least enough to help Cale fix up her appearance. In retrospect, returning to camp carrying his wife who was covered in dirt, leaves, and twigs after a private meeting alone in the forest had a very specific look to it that Alberu really hadn't been attempting to inspire.

But more important than the leering looks of soldiers and servants, he really should have considered how it would look to Penelope.

If he thought she was cold before, it was nothing compared to her reaction upon seeing him carry a clearly distraught Cale back to camp.

"Sleep outside." Was all that his dear four year old daughter said before slamming shut the carriage door in his face, a disgust that rivaled her mother's expression darkening her innocent features.

Alberu was left only with regrets and ruminations as his wife and daughter slept in the cozy carriage together. Admittedly, he'd planned to sleep in a separate carriage from them to begin with for their comfort but there was a significant difference between choosing to sleep somewhere else and being kicked out.

In retrospect, he could certainly understand why Penelope was so cross with him. She'd been very clear about how she'd feel if he did absolutely anything to upset her mother and he'd come back with her looking worse than ever.

Cale hadn't looked at him either which was disconcerting.

They'd never been on particularly good terms at any point in their marriage but Cale had never avoided his eyes. It was one of the things he could reluctantly respect about her. She was absolutely insane, a drunkard, and cruel with her words but she definitely had guts.

She'd stare down just about anyone and probably threaten even a god with a wine bottle if the celestial being got on her bad side. It was as impressive as it was concerning.

She'd never avoided looking at him like that.

He knew he'd crossed the line. He'd said things that ought never to have been said. Although in fairness, she'd said those things first.

Alberu closed his eyes and tried not to let the venom hurt.

Would his mother be disappointed with him? He strove to be a man that she would have been proud of. Strove to treat others fairly and maintain peace and prosperity to the kingdom.

She was right about one thing.

He was alone.

His aunt had returned to live in her home in the Desert of Death once she was sure that Alberu was settled in and taken care of. Some of his maternal connections stuck around but most dispersed.

It wasn't comfortable for dark elves to be forced to live everyday in disguise within a kingdom that would have them put to death if they were found out. Alberu was familiar with the feeling.

Still, Cale hadn't said anything that he wouldn't have been able to brush off coming from anyone else. He'd certainly heard more vile things coming from some of the people he had to work with daily.

She had a unique way of finding his weaknesses and stabbing them with such malicious cruelty that his defenses broke down.

He was alone now too.

His daughter hated him. His wife hated him. His cabinet was full of politically minded snakes who were likely to strike him down at a moment's weakness. His father didn't care for him. He'd probably never be able to mend his relationship with his brothers even if he tried.

He'd be okay though.

Alberu was used to feeling lonely.

It just hurt a bit more than normal when he still had the memory of his daughter's affection. Maybe he felt just a bit saved every time he was able to see her and she'd smile at him and give him a hug. Maybe the exhaustion and pain from having to constantly wear a facade with no one at his side he could trust wore away just a bit every time she'd call him papa and tell him that she loved him.