Chapter 23 - Man vs River

[Wesley's POV]

She instantly lit up when she saw me but the sparkle in her dark eyes did nothing to calm my mood. I couldn't even appreciate that she looked much better than the night she was unconscious in the hospital.

"Wesley!" She tried to come in for a hug but I stopped her.

"You met with my mother." Her face instantly dropped, and she gulped.

"Yes." It was a whisper and she was already cowering away from me. A part of me was hoping Dana was making this up, that she had shot up so much crack that she had hallucinated the whole conversation.

But then again her description of River was too spot-on. When she said River reached out to her and that they had met, I instantly called her a liar. So, Dana gave me a detailed description of her and the conversation they had. 'I swear Wesley. River. Tall petty girl, curly hair. Big eyes'

That was my River all right. The sneaky little minx! Maybe I didn't know her as well as I thought I did. I couldn't believe she had gone behind my back and contacted my mother! A woman I wasn't even in contact with!

"Why?"

God knows I was trying my best not to yell at her. River hated when I yelled and got snappy with her, and I hated making her cry. So as a compromise, I was trying to work on my tone whenever we got into it, but right now? I saw so mad, that I couldn't even regulate my breathing.

"Please don't be mad." She pleaded but we were past that. I wanted answers.

"Answer the fucking question River!" I snapped

"River? Is everything ok?" We had backed so far into the inn, I saw Kevin for the first time. His eyes darted between River and me. I looked back at River, her eyes were glossy.

"What the fuck is he doing here?"

"He came over to check up on me." She said defensively. The thought of her crying in his arms made my blood boil even further. Not only was she sneaking behind my back with my mom, but she was also doing it with another man as well.

"Get out." I couldn't break eye contact with River but he knew I was speaking to him.

"I don't know if it's safe to." He said standing his ground.

What the fuck does that mean? And then it dawned on me...he thought I was going to hurt River. Everything about this situation was fanning the flames of my anger. I had to take a deep breath because there was no way this idiot thought that I was hitting River.

"You tryna play the hero with my girl?" I turned to him. He wanted my attention? Well he was going to get it. River gripped my arm pulling me back. "I could snap your neck for even insinuating I'd hurt her."

"Kevin please leave." River pleaded next to me.

"You better listen to her lover boy, before things get ugly."

He didn't move. He just stared at me so River pleaded with him again. This time he nodded and my eyes followed him until the door closed behind him.

I looked back at River and I could see she was sorry, but my reasoning capacity went out the window.

"Didn't I tell you that it's just me?"

"Wesley." She stepped back, tears rolling down her face. "If you knew how much I love you, you wouldn't say that."

If I wasn't so mad, her admission of her love for me would've filled my heart with pure joy. This was the first time I was hearing her say that she loved me. It would've put me on cloud nine, instead her deceitful actions were anchoring me to the ground.