Chapter Two: Speed Dating

ALICE

As Ellie parked outside the bar where the speed dating event was taking place my nerves started getting the better of me. I wasn't concerned about creeps; I didn't have the best track record with members of the opposite sex. What if none of the guys liked me? I didn't exactly have a proper job, maybe this wasn't such a good idea. I'd much rather be back home snuggled in bed with Netflix and a tub of Cookie Dough ice cream. I felt someone take my hand in theirs and squeeze, I turned my head and Lily smiled at me.

"We don't have to stay long Alice. Just give me a signal and we'll leave no questions asked."

I nodded and squeezed her hand back tightly before she let go of mine. Ellie found a parking spot and turned in her seat to face the two of us with a grin big enough to rival that of the Cheshire Cat.

"Let's go girlies, Rachel's already inside and she says the guys are actually attractive."

The three of us climbed out of Ellie's BMW, I tried to tug my playsuit down but there was no use. I should have gone with a long dress that at least covered my bum more; I didn't much like being exposed to the elements like this. We walked into the bar, my confidence returned as my eyes gazed over the male crop. There didn't appear to be any creeps, but then again it all depended on what they were like under the suits and hair gel.

Ellie dragged Lily and I over to the bar where Rachel was perched on a stool nursing some funky green cocktail. She wore a red and black skater dress with some form of jewellery headband on top of her head, it clashed with the dress and her dirty blonde hair but somehow she managed to pull it off. Ellie on the other hand looked dressed to get laid. Her black hair was straightened and her makeup perfect, she wore a white one shoulder bodycon dress and six inch heels which I hadn't noticed until now. Out of the four of us I was underdressed but that didn't really bother me, I didn't want to stick out too much.

"Finally, I thought you guys were going to bail on me."

Rachel jumped off the stool and engulfed the three of us in one of her bone crushing hugs. For someone petite this girl had strength. Ellie was the first to pull away and straighten her dress; she scowled slightly and touched up her hair.

"I'm going to go and sign us in."

She sauntered off to the registration table, all the male eyes in the room latched onto her ass which she purposely shimmied knowing all the attention was on her which she liked. Lily and Rachel muttered something under their breath about her before breaking into a conversation about what the three of them were like at high school. I couldn't exactly be part of the conversation; I was the newbie in their group. I detached myself from them and decided to get a drink, the bar was pretty packed but I managed to find an opening and slid in gracefully.

"Alice is it really you? Or do my eyes deceive me?"

Whoever called my name sounded familiar, I turned to my left and my eyes bulged at the sight of someone I knew very well indeed.

"Joey."

Joey Graceffa hugged me and I hugged him back, to say I was surprised to see him here would have been an understatement. A few people glanced our way before going back to their drinks and conversations. Joey could get any girl he wanted with that charming accent of his; I loved this boy but only in a big brother kind of way.

"What are you doing here little Sugg?"

I pulled away and pointed to my group of girlfriends who noticed me and waved. Ellie had returned and her eyes gazed up and down Joey, I mentally rolled my eyes.