Chapter One

"Hey, Elaine! Can you grab some stock from the back? We're running low up here." I looked at my flustered Aunt and nodded before running to the stock room. Saturdays were always busy, but this one was busier than most. The bar swarmed with unfamiliar faces that seemed to know this bar inside and out, meaning they had definitely been here in the past. Probably long before I arrived one year ago.

Once I grabbed a crate and filled it to the brim with shiny new liquor bottles, I made my way toward the bar once more. Sitting in front of my Aunt was a handsome man in a brown leather jacket. He seemed to be chatting her up, which was only confirmed when I saw her ring the bell at the back of the bar. Everyone knew the rules: disrespect a lady, buy everyone a beer. The dozens of civilians and aviators erupted in cheers at the free round. But the poor man who had to pay didn't seem to mind at all. He just stared at my beautiful Aunt, mesmerized by her.

"Don't tease the poor man, Penny. You'll break his heart." I say with a giggle as I hand her the bottles. She scoffs, "I can't possibly break his heart as much as he's broken mine, Dove." I scrunch my nose at the nickname. She has called me that ever since I was a baby. And now that I was in California she made a point to get everyone I meet to call me that. I stare at the man a moment before it clicks in my head as to who he was. "So you're the famous Maverick?" He finally stops looking at Penny to give me a once over. "I see she's mentioned me. And who might you be?" He smiles holding out his hand. I grab it gently and shake, "Elaine Moore. Penny is my Aunt." He raises his eyebrows in intrigue as he releases my hand. "I didn't know Jillian had a kid. Nice to meet you, Elaine. Or should I call you Dove?" At the mention of my mothers name all the air leaves my lungs. It's like a punch to the gut. My hands start to shake as my eyes find the floor, searching for something to distract me from the pain in my chest. Still looking at the floor I manage to mumble, "Um... Elaine is fine. Sorry, uh... please excuse me."

I finish the sentence as i'm already walking away. My eyes were glued to the floor, taking notice of my heavy yet swift footsteps headed toward the front door. And before I can stop myself, the door swings open almost hitting me in the face. I jump back, startled and lightheaded from the surprise attack. "Woah! Sorry there, Darlin'." A smooth and deep voice says, sending shivers down my spine. Too distracted to even look up, I step past him out the door pausing to say a quick "Excuse me." before walking away.

My feet carry me to the edge of the beach, just listening to the waves crashing on the shore. The ocean was a lot like my forest. The sound of waves and the salt laced air overtake my senses yet, I still can't feel them. No matter how hard I have tried, I still can't feel the music. God, I am pathetic. I can't even hear her name without freaking out. But damnit, I just can't seem to let her go. After a few minutes and deep breaths, I feel calm enough to go back inside.

Before I enter I notice that Maverick is no longer sitting at the bar. I sigh in relief, not wanting to face him after my outburst. Just as I open the door I hear the music from the jukebox come to a halt, along with the cries from the crowd. I look around the bar trying to figure out what was going on. But before I can even think about it, a man sits himself at the piano in the middle of the room.

The only way to describe him was glowing. He radiated under the gaze of all the annoyed patrons. He was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and jeans yet I could still tell he was Navy. With a pair aviators on and a smirk on his face his fingers slam the piano sending a jolt of electricity through my body. "You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain. Too much love drives a man insane." As he sings, tingles arise in my chest. And that almost forgotten feeling of butterflies in my stomach leaves me breathless. My eyes widen, still staring at him. My senses sharpen as his skilled hands play the piano like the world depends on it. His charismatic charm fills the room as all the bar goers shout the song in unison.