the attack

The sleek furred wolf took brisk and calculated steps through the new territory. He opened his mouth briefly to catch the scent of the small pack who lived here. Unsurprising that he'd never heard of the pack before the rumors caught his attention. The territory and pack was too small to be considered a threat or asset. At least that's what he'd thought till he'd sent scouts to check past the borders.

Past the markers warning out intruders, his scouts had found a perfect territory. Land that would serve his pack well once it came into his possession. His greed had only increased when he'd been informed of the rumors surrounding the daughter of the alpha. It was said that she was born an alpha, the only female wolf in history to have done so.

This wasn't something he could resist the temptation of. Oh the power of being the only alpha male to have a female alpha at his side. Just imagining the strength their offspring would have sent shivers down his spine, and so the battle plans were made.

His hard muscles bunched as he jumped onto a large rock jutting out of the ground in the middle of a field. This would serve just fine.

The sounds of his packmates entering the clearing caught his attention. In their jaws they were dragging a smaller wolf with the scent of deer blood on him. The wolf was clearly both young and dead, killed by his orders.

A small grin worked its way onto his face as he looked out of the wolves now swarming the field, his pack, his strong pack.

One final glance to make sure all was in order and he threw back his head, allowing a low challenging howl to echo from his throat.

The silence that followed seemed to stretch and stretch until it became painful, until a volley of furious howls and cries echoed in response to his challenge.

Sitting down on his rock, the dark furred alpha waited for the small pack to run right into his trap.

***

I had just pounced on the large fox when the howl of an unfamiliar wolf sounded through the air. It bit through the night and bounced off the trees as a not so silent threat. I couldn't help the shock that flooded my body.

Who was this wolf, and why was here?

Our territory was small, and we had nothing to offer to a larger group of intruders. Alpha Brady and the Southern Elite Pack wouldn't take kindly to the idea of us being overrun. Almost all of the packs nearby would know that my father and Brady had always been good friends. Attacking us was like some sort of death wish. So who would be bold enough to consider it?

I let go of the fox that still squirmed under my paws, and I took off towards the sound of the howl. My father's deep howl came shortly after, followed by the angry calls of the rest of the packmates who were likely with him. I added my own challenging howl and charged down the worn path towards the lower field.

The anger from my fellow packmates was nearly overwhelming, I could feel it rushing through my blood and roaring in my ears.

Since I was coming from the higher ground I decided to take the ridge path that would give me the higher ground overlooking the main field.

Just as I was about to crest the top of the hill, the strong scent of blood hit me in the face firmly enough to make me slide to stop at the top of the hill.

The horror scene that was painted out in front of me made my blood run cold. It was as though my worst nightmares had come to life.

My pack was gone.

The first thing I saw were the bodies of Tommy and James sprawled out and lifeless. Both of their throats had been torn out, spilling their blood into the grasses below, forever staining in crimson.