the scent

c h a p t e r 1: t h e s c e n t

Oh goodness, I'm so excited for this book. 

Song: Who We Are

By: Imagine Dragons

Picture is Lyra

Hope you guys enjoy!

***

The feeling of wind racing through my fur was one of the things I most enjoyed about having a wolf. 

That and of course the pack. It was always a good thing to have a gang of killer male wolves at your back when you messed up or made a bad choice. 

I could feel the wolf inside me purring with her delight. We had only just shifted a year ago and our control was still shaky at best. At least I had better control than the other two young wolves of the pack. 

My two best friends, Sage and Tommy. 

Of course female wolves just had to be so rare that I didn't have any female friends, or any females in the pack for that matter. My own mother had died ten years ago of cancer. 

"Hey Lyra, we should really be getting back home soon. You and I both know that some rest will be a good thing before the assignment tonight."  The voice of Sage called out in my head. I was pretty sure that he was somewhere behind us.

Naturally, as I had quickly found out, females tended to be a hell of lot faster than males. Now I knew that I was rare, seeing how I was the only known female that was born an alpha, but I could smoke any wolf in our pack with ease. 

The beast inside me voiced her displeasure at being locked away once again in my human body. It was all I could do to convince her that we would get to run again tonight. 

Tonight. 

My claws tingled with excitement and I almost let out a howl of joy, before I remembered that Sage and I were patrolling the borders. I could almost imagine how mad my father would be if I howled on a patrol. 

Naturally we lived out in the country, but we couldn't help it if humans decided to move in as well. Not like we could just tell them where they could and couldn't live. My howl would alert the humans, and seeing how wild wolves didn't live in these parts I could cause a panic. 

All over one simple howl. 

"Hey Lyra, I'm picking up a strange scent, can you come here and see if you recognize it?" Sage's words echoed around in my head and caused my beast to growl both internally and out loud. 

We weren't the alpha yet, but it still made us mad to think that some wolf would stray so close to our borders. 

There weren't any other packs close by and the few rogues we got throughout the years were always friendly and tended to move quickly around the edge of our land. We had never had a problem with wolves crossing the border. 

"Sage, does it smell like a rogue?" I asked, praying that it would be an old rogue scent and we could get back home to sleep. Tonight was going to be a big night and I'd be damned if some stupid rogue made me stay awake all day. 

His soft whine was what I got before the words followed through. "I don't think so, actually I know that it's not a rogue. Lyra, this is a pack wolf who could smell the border and knowingly got too close.

Damnit. 

"Keep track of the scent I'm getting close. Should I link Whit?"  I tried to make my words sound as calm and confident as I possibly could. The wolf in me was telling me that it was a good idea to start practicing for when we would one day take our father's title.