Chapter 2.

Tap tap tap. Nevada stepped back from the door as it swung open, and he let out an involuntary breath of fear. His father narrowed his eyes at him, his unnatural eyes, one green with a white pupil and the other the opposite. He shifted, revealing an athletic body, blue-grey fur riddled with scars and stepped out of the doorway, an invitation for him to enter. Nevada straightened his shoulders and brushed past Saguaro with an air of disdain, at least, that's what he hoped happened. He looked up and was met with four faces. Neo, anxiously fiddling with something on the table, Ridga's face concerned and sitting tensely, his mother, Indi, giving him a sympathetic smile, one that could melt the northern ice cliffs in the Vera kingdom and Xeno?

"I'll just go," Rio said, and Nevada turned to see Saguaro closing the door.

"Father, allow her entry," Saguaro gave him a surprised look.

"Upon whose authority?" The king asked, and Nevada faltered, he remembered the last time he'd openly countered Saguaro's wishes, it hadn't ended well, his second in command had ended up "banished." Nevada had a funny feeling that death had more to do with it.

"Mine," He replied, narrowing his cold eyes, "she stays on my authority." Stand down old man, he thought as loud as he could. One time he wished Saguaro had mind reading. Saguaro held his gaze for a moment, but he stepped out of the way, and Rio dashed through, she stopped next to Nevada and flicked him with her tail, smiling. Together they walked up to the table and sat on the two chairs opposite Saguaro's, in between Indi and Ridga. He looked over and met his mothers gaze, it was distant, but as she looked back to Saguaro, who was now taking his seat, he thought he saw a questioning shake of her head.

"Now then, Nevada we have gathered for a reason of utmost importance, one that I believe you will be quite pleased with." Ridga looked to Saguaro, who nodded and continued in his better than you tone.

"Yes, Nebula has acquired talk on the grapevine, according to new reports Queen Cleo has a living descendant, which means that it is likely she is planning another attack on our kingdom. Ridga, Nebula, Compudose and I have been speaking, and we believe it's time for you to rejoin the royal army." Nevada felt a flutter of pride and excitement, not only was he returning to his role, but General Compudose spoke of him!? Only the best of the best have ever deserved mention from the top General in the army. Fleet 1, what an honour, of course no-one would realise his importance. Fleet 1 was one of the many things Saguaro had made it his duty to keep from the public eye.

"And I believe you have served the required punishment that your breach of the law required."

"So, am I General again?" Nevada asked, he hoped to sound confirming, but it came out more emotional than he'd wanted.

"Yes, as well as the right to receive the title and benefits of Prince again. You will be in charge of selecting and-" Saguaro started

"Should we really be saying this in front of me?" Rio interrupted, "This sounds secret-y and not for important ears." She elaborated, glancing at Nevada nervously.

"Why?" Saguaro asked, "You're here on Prince Nevada's authority. Now then, you're selecting a group of 7 from Fleets 1, 2 and 3. The best that you can find for a stealth mission, and once they are selected, you will receive your mission."

"Are there any questions you have for us?" Ridga asked, his stance was less tense now, and he had a glimmer of a smile in his eyes, Nevada had already given up on preventing the grin which now spread across his face, but had managed to contain it, so as not to look stupid.

"No Admiral sir, thank you father." Saguaro's eyes held one of their rare moments of clarity as he gazed across to Nevada. He gave a curt nod and Nevada stepped off his seat, hearing the sound of Rio's paws hitting the polished wood floor behind him.