Part 4

Hm.

Yeah.

That probably wasn't a good thing.

Roksu Henituse sat peacefully in the garden with his picture book, watching from a distance as his sister threw stones at his brother who'd climbed up a tree to avoid them. For all their unusual maturity, Cale had a natural inclination towards aggravating the people around him for nebulous purposes and Penelope had a natural inclination towards not taking his shit.

Roksu traced over the word in the book that had caught his attention.

<Hero>

A silly and simple word. Childish in nature. A word that described a person who saved others.

Roksu reflected that he'd known a lot of heroes in his lifetime. He'd also seen a lot of them die. Becoming a hero sort of lost its appeal after you'd seen that enough times.

Roksu wasn't yet four years old, still stuck in the treacherous age known as three. After the troublesome twos but before you were old enough for anyone to acknowledge your personality or deem you worthy of teaching. Just a toddler.

His brain still hadn't quite worked out how to connect and organize memories in any meaningful fashion but Roksu had been putting a certain amount of effort into it. Perhaps it was because of the headaches that he was so motivated. Roksu really didn't like headaches.

But his ability had been cataloging memories before his brain was ready for it for years now. It really made a person question where memories truly were contained, the soul or the mind.

Roksu's current hypothesis was that they were stored in the soul but sorted out and organized by the mind. That would at least neatly explain his current situation.

Roksu was already at least partially aware that some of his memories did not belong in his current lifetime. Especially since he was supposed to be three, not thirty-six.

It hadn't really quite clicked though. There was something about the brain of a child that led them to be pure curiosity contained inside of a purely incurious existence.

A child would ask why until their throat was raw but they would frequently accept even the most unbelievable of explanations without argument.

Since Roksu was not in fact one of nature's curious cats because he valued his life, satisfaction be damned, he was also extra uninclined to even ask why for a short eternity.

A child could simply just accept that there were two sets of memories inside of them and not once question whether that was a strange or bothersome thing. In that sense, a child's development boiled down to what they considered normal.

For Roksu, it was his normal state of being. He'd like to stop having headaches and thus he needed to organize these thoughts cohesively.

That was as complicated as it got for him.

<Hero>

Roksu watched without much surprise as Penelope knocked Cale out of the tree and proceeded to show him exactly what she thought of his prank.

It was such a strange trigger but he supposed it made sense as it pertained to his current circumstances all too much.

Cale Henituse.

The Birth of a Hero.

The Roan Kingdom.

Roksu let out a deep and long suffering sigh, leaning back onto the grass and staring up into the sky.