Chapter 16

Rosé followed him through the halls. She had agreed to meet Aiden's friends, willing to give the place a chance and meeting new people might help her get through all this.

What do you have to lose?

Nothing. She had nothing to lose.

She had not seen that part of the palace yet. The corridors differed at each turn but followed the same colours as the rest: white and gold with long, red carpets. They were covered by paintings and drawings hanging on the walls, not to mention art painted directly on the wall or ceiling, illuminated by chandeliers.

"This place is huge," Rosé commented, watching bluish discs bolt past them. "Don't you get lost?"

"At first, yes," he began, "I used to end in completely different places, but over time, you memorise them. Actually..." He grabbed something from his pocket. 'I'm glad you asked me that; it reminded me of something," It was an almost transparent cloth. "It's called a star guide. You tell it where you must go inside Amondridia, and it takes you. You simply need to say the keyword, guide, and where you want to go. To turn it off, you just need to take it in your hand again, and if by chance you say the keyword unintentionally, it will stop. You just need to say proceed or give another command."

"Easy peasy."

"Lemon squeezy," Aiden finished.

Rosé observed the shining cloth floating in the air.

"Thank you."

"Well... it wasn't quite my present," he commented, rubbing the back of his neck. "It was in my room with a note asking me to give it to you, but I wish I had the idea."

"I think I'm going to feel stupid for using this." Her focus was still on the shiny fabric as she imagined herself walking with it in the corridors—the new girl who couldn't find her way around.

"Of course, you won't," he said, stopping to greet a few people who passed by. "This place is huge, bigger than you think. Bigger than you see on the outside. It has expansion enchantments. Some people have lived here a long time and still use it. You'll see it's normal. Besides, one day, you will know this place upside down. Left and right."

They exchanged glances before she looked away.

How long would it take for her to know the place? She barely knew how to return to her room from where they were.

"Take it easy, Rosélina." He tapped her back.

"Please, call me Rosé," Aiden nodded. "Why is this place so far away?' She asked, realising they had been walking for so long. "I still have many questions ahead. Just deal with it."

Aiden sighed, passing one of his arms over Rosé's shoulders, pulling her closer to him. "Of course you have; I don't know why I'm surprised at this." Rosé looked at him and smiled. He was significantly tall. Perhaps 5'7 with broad shoulders. An athletic, slim body, she would say. Still, she had to look up to face him every time.

She heard someone mumble behind her. She looked over her shoulder but saw nothing but people talking meters away and a few other things flying around. Was she supposed to get used to it?

Her gaze turned to Aiden when he started talking.

"About being far away, it was designed for this. The founder believed it would help people move more if the places were distant."

"Smart but inconvenient. Is teleportation a thing?"

"Only wizards, sorcerers, elves, a few dragons and celestials."