Chapter 17

"Can I grab him by his hair and rub his handsome face on the asphalt?" Rosé asked about Kaydan.

"No."

Ariady and Rosé were moving plants around. According to Ari, they were already large enough to be taken to the west side of greenhouses, where they would be exposed to natural light.

Ever since she got there, Rosé had complained about Kaydan. Even though she hit back at his comments and was rude to him, it didn't count. He started it, and Rosélina just went along.

They spent most of the morning talking about Rosé and everything that happened in the years she was away and before. The oath about taking her away when her mother was found dead. How Rosé was supposed to be a secret, but many already knew about her existence. Ari also mentioned The Hunt. The name given to the conflict between people from the Dark Side and the Lysions received.

The Magi Revolution, The Awakening and something about a Void were also mentioned, but there was so much information to keep up with. Rosé could barely remember what The Awakening was for, but they all helped take the attention out of the Lysion for a while.

"So there are still people living outside Lyses?" Rosé asked.

"They're against the oppression of magic and gifts," Ariady explained, a pink bubble away from Rosélina. "It was a mess. Lyses was invaded and destroyed to encourage people to return to the cities. They also believed that Magicians should govern the world and not hide. Who are the Ordinary against us?"

"What made them stop?"

Ariady's shoulders dropped, her brows furrowing. "A nuclear accident." She whispered. "Killed many in Eastern Europe and Asia. It was one of the biggest catastrophes in years of our existence, but at least it reminded us why we live in separated worlds."

They talked about Rosé's training, which would start next week, and the importance of her commitment. "We want to start as soon as we can. We're just giving you time to digest everything." Ariady examined her for a few seconds, hope shining in her pinkish eyes. Her hands moved from the side of her body to resting on her hips. "Time is not good, Rosé. Not how I wish I was."

"It still looks unreal, like a dream I'm about to wake up from."

"Do you want to wake up?"

That question caught her off guard. Did she?

There were a few seconds of silence. Rosélina looked around. Watching magic float around her. Thinking about Aiden and the Elementri. She would feel sad if this was not real. If she would make up in her university room again. "I don't think I want to wake up."

Ariady smiled. "Amondridia will always be here to protect you," Ari commented, lifting another vase and taking it away. "That's the dilemma," she cried from the other side of the greenhouse. "Amondridia is our kingdom, and we fight for it. Now and forever."

Rosé took another vase and followed her. "You mentioned training. Everyone here is trained?" she asked, putting the vase in the right place. They were too heavy. Sometimes, she had to stop to catch her breath and flex her tender hands.

"Yes, from a very young age," she remarked.

"Don't children study?"

Ari had already returned with another vase. "Of course, they study, but in a different way. We do not use the same methods as the other Lyses, much less of the Outer World. Children have a tutor for what would be a primary school, and they develop communication, trust, patience, discipline, and other skills essential for the future. Personal growth. They learn to control their anger and feelings, which is suitable for controlling magic. They learn about diversity and dealing with the power within them, as well as learning to read, write, and basic mathematics.